RE: IIS 6.0 Kerberos authentication

From: Wei-Dong XU [MSFT] (
Date: 07/06/05

Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 03:00:42 GMT

Hi Eduard,

By default, IIS6 uses the worker process to serve the internet request,
which is one process providing the service (we could find this from site
properties->Home direcotry->Application Pool). We will need to specify one
account as this process's identity. This Technet IIS article introduces the
configuration of this identity for you:

At your scenario, Kerberos will need to register the SPN name under this
identity account in Active Directory. This kb article introduces more
information for you with the resolution:
871179 You receive an "HTTP Error 401.1 - Unauthorized: Access is denied
due to

Please feel free to let me know if you have any question. It is my pleasure
to be of any assistance.

Best Regards,
Wei-Dong XU
Microsoft Product Support Services