Re: Authentication doesnt work when using non - microsoft browsers :-(

From: David Wang [Msft] (someone_at_online.microsoft.com)
Date: 05/13/05

    Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 03:46:59 -0700

    If the server is configured to require a particular authentication protocol
    and the browser refuses to support it, then you get a 401.2. That behavior
    is by-design.

    Either fix the browser to support the authentication protocol of the server,
    or change the authentication protocol required by the server.

    I do not know what you mean by "windows forms authentication " -- can you
    give me the Authentication configuration of /secure inside of IIS Manager UI
    (web.config is not involved).

    I am pretty certain that Firefox supports Integrated Windows Authentication.
    So, either your configuration is not what you said, or you've got something
    else misconfigured.

    --
    //David
    IIS
    "thechaosengine" <none> wrote in message
    Hi eveyone,
    If anyone could advise on the following I would be truly greatful:
    I have a fairly standard set up. An IIS 5.1 website set up with anonymous
    access allowed in all areas of the site but a secure subdirectory called
    /secure/
    I am using windows forms authentication and this is configured in my
    web.config
    file.
    All of this works perfectly when using IE. If i attempt to jump straight
    into the secure directory without logging in - it boots me back to the login
    page. If I log in, it lets me through no problems.
    The problem is that this doesnt work in firefox or netscape.
    When I put in my username and password they either popup a box asking for
    another username and password (which i don't know) or it takes me directly
    to the standard 401.2 page which tells me the following:
    > HTTP 401.2 - Unauthorized: Logon failed due to server configuration
    > Background:
    This is usually caused by a server-side script not sending the proper
    WWW-Authenticate
    header field. Using Active Server Pages scripting this is done by using the
    AddHeader method of the Response object to request that the client use a
    certain authentication method to access the resource.
    Can anyone advise me why IE is working and the other browsers arent. I have
    read some information that suggests that it could be because the secure
    directory
    is set up to use Windows Integrated Security but I'm sure that hasnt
    mattered
    before with other sites and I don't know how else to set the sites up. I
    don't want usernames etc sent in plain text etc
    Thanks to anyone who can share any information
    Thanks all
    TCE

    • Re: Outlook -> remote exchange -> always wants a password
      ... I have my server set to use Integrated Windows authentication over SSL. ... almost certainly "break" your existing users if the client setup does not ... Close out of these configuration dialogs, ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: WWW-Authenticate error
      ... trying from a different machine with any browser, ... that the "client" insists on using an authentication protocol that the ... server is not configured to accept. ... partly depends on your browser configuration. ...
      (microsoft.public.security)
    • Re: WWW-Authenticate error
      ... trying from a different machine with any browser, ... that the "client" insists on using an authentication protocol that the ... server is not configured to accept. ... partly depends on your browser configuration. ...
      (microsoft.public.security)
    • Re: WWW-Authenticate error
      ... trying from a different machine with any browser, ... server is not configured to accept. ... A "client" may be your browser, ... partly depends on your browser configuration. ...