Re: Integrated Authentication in an Intranet

From: Ken Schaefer (kenREMOVE_at_THISadOpenStatic.com)
Date: 05/11/05

Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 10:34:49 +1000

Hi

IIS is only aware of the client's username if the client chooses to send
something to IIS. This may be the credentials that the user is logged on as,
or it may be alternate, acceptable credentials that the user has supplied to
IIS. By default, IE will attempt to "auto logon" for sites in the local
Intranet security zone, and then you can get the user name via the
Request.ServerVariables collection (in ASP):

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=258063 (for IE info)

<%=Request.ServerVariables("Logon_User")%>

Cheers
Ken

--
Blog: www.adopenstatic.com/cs/blogs/ken/
Web: www.adopenstatic.com
"Bill Marcus" <bill.marcus@usnetworkinc.com> wrote in message
: Being realitivly new to IIS can someone point me to some tutorials on how
: setup ASP or ColdFusion pages to read the username from a client's
computer.
: All clients will be:
:
: *    Conneting from inside the same Active Directory domain with constant
: physical connections to the Domain Controller and IIS 6.0 server.
: *    Running either Win 2000 Professional or XP Profession SP1 / 2 and
: Internet Explorer 5.0+
:
: I'm trying to pull show dynamic information on an intranet page without
: prompting for the user for their credentials. I.E. pass through based upon
: the user's logon information cached from either the NTLM sign-on or
: Kererbos.
:
: Thanks!
: Bill Marcus
:
:

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Active Directory Authentication in IIS 6
    ... I just installed ldp.exe and have no problems using the same credentials ... used in the code to connect and bind. ... settings in IIS, but I am not sure where to look. ... and Integrated Windows Authentication is checked. ...
  • Re: IIS6 - Virtual Directory to URL share, authentication problems.
    ... passing credentials across from webserver -> remote file server ... requires Kerberos (if IIS doesn't have the user's password), ... you won't get automatic logon. ... is that the "secure" authentication mechanisms do ...
  • Re: Anonymous access required for .NET web services?
    ... If you are using Windows security in IIS, you need to make sure you are ... passing credentials in your proxy client. ... > We have a .NET server application running under IIS. ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.security)
  • Re: custom page for user credentials?
    ... credentials against the various domains. ... after the user authenticates with IIS handling the SSPI Negotiation. ... possible for IIS6 to link a Passport user account to an AD user account -- ...
  • Re: Integrated Windows && Anonymous combination
    ... if the anononymous auth works then the user is ... > IIS set up with Integrated Windows && Anonymous ... > credentials to the SQL Server from IIS. ... > When evaluating client credentials, ...