Re: Digest access to UNC share

From: David Wang [Msft] (someone_at_online.microsoft.com)
Date: 05/04/05

    Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 13:40:59 -0700

    You need to first get WebDAV+Basic on local Filesystem working first. Then,
    change it to UNC share. Finally, change authentication scheme. The URL I
    gave previously should get all this working on IIS6. Some slight adaptations
    have to be made for IIS5 since it doesn't support pass-thru as nicely, nor
    does it support protocol transitioning (so it is Kerberos or nothing).

    WebDAV is basically a protocol over HTTP, so you are really looking at
    proper web-server configuration to support your scenario. There are also two
    different WebDAV clients, one within Windows and the other within IE, both
    with different sets of capabilities.

    --
    //David
    IIS
    "Alan van der Vyver" <alanv@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    David,
    Once again you have found an interesting article. Thank you.
    I found I was not able to connect to a WebDAV folder across the Internet
    from Windows XP at all - even if the folder was configured for pass-thru
    basic authentication or even no authentication (anonymous). Windows 2000
    was working fine in both cases.
    Windows XP was asking for a user name and password, even with anonymous
    access and was rejecting every user name and password combination I
    supplied.
    In the end, while researching whether I might have better luck with
    WebDAV on Apache, I found an article that refered to Microsoft knowledge
    base article 298353. This was useful in that it confirmed the problem,
    but was otherwise the singularly most useless knowledge base article I
    have come across as it provides neither resolution nor work-around nor a
    time frame for one. It conveys the distinct sense of "Its broken. Tough!
    Live with it!"
    Fortunately, the same article that referred me to the knowledge base
    provided a work around - add "/." or "/#" to the WebDAV URL when
    creating the web folder in Windows XP. The full article can be found at
    http://www.atarex.com/services/support/webdav-msft.shtml.
    Using that, I can make Windows XP work, so I will revive the project at
    some point in the future and make use of the delegation information you
    supplied earlier. I am running out of time now. I will make use of FTP
    in the mean time.
    regards,
    Alan.
    David Wang [Msft] wrote:
    > You mean you cannot get WebDAV of a UNC share working when you use
    Pass-thru
    > Basic authentication? This should work on IIS6 by default, and it takes a
    > bit more tweaking on IIS5.
    >
    > URL (talks about IIS6, but same concepts apply to IIS5 and has a bunch of
    > related URLs):

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/webapp/iis/remstorg.mspx )

    • Re: Using UNC path through Start->Run causes continuous authentication
      ... windows reset to their start position when trying to be dragged. ... basically seems like explorer is getting in some sort of loop. ... authentication error (as expected, as the local account does not exist ... credentials, I supply them and all is well, if I then put the same UNC ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • WebDAV Authentication
      ... I'm trying to set up WebDAV for file sharing between our 2 departments, ... In Windows XP I'm getting the authentication ... #Misc stuff relevant to DAV ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: Change in ASP.Net authentication between Win2000 and Win2003
      ... > is turning on/off Kerberos is occuring. ... It control how IE deals with "Authentication: ... when you put IIS6 in a domain and have "Integrated Windows Authentication" ...
    • Re: Change in ASP.Net authentication between Win2000 and Win2003
      ... > is turning on/off Kerberos is occuring. ... It control how IE deals with "Authentication: ... when you put IIS6 in a domain and have "Integrated Windows Authentication" ...
    • Re: Need help configuring Wireless Connection profile
      ... and I can only use the intel OR windows utility, not both at the same time. ... Windows authentication for all users,4129,LRG\ryanv,4149,Wireless WPA2 ... SMALL BUSINESS SERVER: ... STEP #1 Install Certificate Services ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)