Re: Server security

From: Jason Brown [MSFT] (i-brjaso_at_online.microsoft.com)
Date: 03/14/05

Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 13:36:02 +1100

Sounds like if you were finding new, hard to erase folders in the wwwroot
then you were probably sitting there with anonymous access enabled to FTP
(or a very weak password), which is a pretty common attack on freshly set-up
boxes. It's not something that MBSA would pick up, and it's not something
you'd have fixed by a patch - it's a misconfiguration.

I assume you've closed it now?

--
Jason Brown
Microsoft GTSC, IIS
"Jorge Pérez" <jlperezBORRARESTO@epm.net.co> wrote in message
> Hi Jason,
>
> Thanks for you reply. As you say my friend has given me a lot of support
> and it looks that many problems have been corrected to the date, but
> anyway after all the problems that I had with the server, I have the
> purpose of at least learning some basics on server security. It's a must
> for me.
>
> I can tell you that I noticed that we had a security problem because I
> started finding lots of new folders and/or files in the IIS folder, which
> I erased many times and again were created in the server. Now we have a
> folder with no name which I haven't been able to remove.
>
> As you suggest, about patches, we are up to date with the latest ones,
> windows update is active in our server and I'm permanently checking and
> installing new ones when I log into the server and receive alerts of new
> patches ready to install. Now I'm also using Microsoft Baseline Security
> Analyzer and tools like TcpView, ProcExp and other ones that my friend
> installed in the server.
>
> I will start reading from the links that you returned me in your answer,
> and for sure I will be back with new questions as I learn about the
> matter. Once again, thank you very much for your time.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Jorge Pérez
>
> Jason Brown [MSFT] wrote:
>> Hi Jorge,
>>
>> There are plenty of resources out there - try Technet for instance
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/
>>
>> also www.iisanswers.com
>> www.iisfaq.com
>> www.securityfocus.com
>>
>> You'll probably find MBSA extremely useful, too:
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/tools/mbsahome.mspx
>>
>> I'd suggest also, since your friend claims to know what he's talking
>> about, that you draft him in to actually give you some details on his
>> 'more holes than swiss cheese' assertion, because without some detail,
>> that's really no good to you.
>>
>> A major part of security is just common sense - making sure your
>> passwords are strong, that anonymous FTP is disabled or tightened, that
>> patches are applied, services you don't use are turned off and so on.
>>
>> What sort of hack were you subject to?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Setting up a domain
    ... > computer that stands alone and acts as our server. ... Yes a domain can help with improving security but by itself it doesn't mean ... but I'm guessing that's so from the '10 computers') as it can cause ... allow or deny people access to various folders, ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Moved & Deleted Files
    ... share will not go to the recycle bin on the server. ... For Windows 2000 you can enable auditing of object access in the Local ... Security Policy or Domain Controller Security Policy for domain controllers ... and then audit folders for user access. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Advice request: Backdoor hack on Windows Small Business Server
    ... Microsoft MVP (Windows Security) ... > traffic back and forth on the server stopped. ... >> probably still running hidden FTP software somewhere, ... >> notification of the file change, so checking the log for every day is ...
  • RE:[fw-wiz] Vulnerability Scanners ( was: concerning ~el8 / project mayhem )
    ... >>access control should be in place that prevents FTP traffic ... >>w.x.y.z is running an FTP server and you can access it. ... One major provider with a foot in the security realm has had ... Of course doing that documentation would impact ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • [NT] Windows FTP Client Allows File Transfer Location Tampering (MS05-044)
    ... Get your security news from a reliable source. ... A tampering vulnerability exists in the Windows FTP client. ... * Microsoft Windows Server 2003 for Itanium-based Systems - ...
    (Securiteam)