Re: Enable 2003 firewall, can't visit sites

From: Jeff Cochran (jeff.nospam_at_zina.com)
Date: 03/07/05

Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 21:54:26 GMT

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 22:00:04 -0000, "Mike" <mike@surfocracy.com> wrote:

>A bit more info:
>
>The site works ok with no firewall, if I then enable the firewall from
>within the server and then browse to the site I get the following message:
>
>"The page cannot be displayed"
>
>On the server, the following services are ticked:
>FTP Server
>Internet Mail Access Protocal Version 3 (IMAP3)
>Internet Mail Access Protocol Version 4 (IMAP4)
>Internet Mail Server (SMTP)
>Post-Office Protocol Version 3 (POP3)
>Remote Desktop
>Secure Web Server (HTTPS)
>Telnet Server
>Web Server (HTTP)

First, are the services listed above in use? If not, then don't allow
them through the firewall. Second, how about DNS if you run DNS on
the server? Also, are you browsing by name or IP? Using SSL? Have
IIS set for a non-standard port?

Jeff

>"Mike" <mike@surfocracy.com> wrote in message
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I've just installed 2003 server, and a single site.
>>
>> When I enable the built in firewall, I can no longer visit the site, even
>> when I tick all available service options (including Web Server (HTTP) -
>> Port 80.
>>
>> Any advice much appreciated.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Mike

Relevant Pages

  • Re: loss of SOME connectivity
    ... I "think" it is DNS. ... Yes, I can ping the router, AND the ISP DNS. ... I cannot connect the inet cable directly to the server because the inet is ... MS firewall not started. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: E-Mail Address Cant Receive E-Mail from *Some* External Organizations
    ... The fact that _some_ messages are delivered is because they are sent from different IPs, so double-check your firewall settings. ... So, that looks right to me, anyway; both resolve to the proper IP address of the external interface for our firewall, and the only difference is that for "company.org" our ISP's mail server acts as a backup server in case our internal mail server is down. ... However, if I send a message to "me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" from my Yahoo e-mail account, I get an NDR returned to my Yahoo account. ... I have checked with our ISP who handles our DNS settings, and they indicate that all appears to be in order with our DNS and MX records. ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)
  • RE: Firewall Rule Set not allowing access to DNS servers?
    ... I changed the DNS rules as you suggested, and the firewall works perfectly - ... > # Allow out access to my ISP's Domain name server. ... > so your udp packets never match this rule and default to ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: CEICW fails at firewall config
    ... Do you or do you not have ISA 2000 or ISA 2004 installed on the SBS server? ... Do you have 2 NICs in the SBS? ... CEICW fails on firewall configuration every time. ... >>> Call to Creating the protected networks access rule returned ok. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: What can make DNS lookups slow? [semi-solved]
    ... >DLM> You have a ADSL connection to the Internet. ... >DLM> your firewall as eth0. ... >DLM> server machine. ... >DLM> want an authoritative DNS server for this subnet. ...
    (Debian-User)