RE: IIS Logon Failure

From: Phil Agcaoili (
Date: 02/14/05

Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 13:01:09 -0800

You have 2 problems going on (remote access to IIS and local access to IIS),
so let's fix the bigger problem of local IIS access first.

With the return code error, IIS is running, but I'm curious to see if it is.
telnet to 80 [enter]
hit [enter]
Did something appear?
If so, what came back? This tells us IIS is up, listening to 80/TCP
requests, and responding
If not, restart IIS and/or your system.

Did you recently change network settings or your password?
Not being able to connect at localhost could be a problem with your NIC.

Can you ping localhost?

Give us more info and one us should be able to assist you.

"Mike Thomas" wrote:

> I am using IIS 5.1 on Windows XP Pro and seem to have messed up ny security
> settings. I've been using an ASP.Net app on my computer, and it has worked
> fine for over a year. Lately, I have been trying, without success, to get
> the other 2 computer on the LAN to access the app. I think there is some
> security problem which I cannot find.
> At any rate this morning, for the first time, I could not access the app
> from the same computer on which it is installed. I received the error:
> "Logon failure: user account restriction. Possible reasons are blank
> passwords not allowed, logon hour restrictions, or a policy restriction has
> been enforced. "
> I get the same error when I run http://localhost. So, somehow, I have locked
> myself out of the whole site.
> Can anyone point me in the right direction toward resolving this?
> Many thanks
> Mike Thomas

Relevant Pages

  • Re: VS2008 HTTP 403 Help!!
    ... Check in your IIS Manager, and make sure you created a virtual directory ... for your app. ... Seems like the publish took away the projects web app status. ...
  • Re: Accessing 32 bit COM components in 64 bit IIS
    ... CGIs, and ASP scripts onto a 64bit machine, and it just works after they ... The most confusing aspect of running 32bit app on a 64bit OS is that you ... System32 access is redirected, etc). ... we will be introducing the ability to configure IIS to run ...
  • Re: 1st hosting of objects, new(), etc.
    ... I'm less interested in either app hosting the object, as I am in having the ... > ASP.Net application dependent on a remote object in a Windows Forms ... >> locally, and if an IIS application on the same machine runs first, I'll ...
  • Re: ASP.Net 1.1 and 2.0 Coexist?
    ... I ran IIS 6 in IIS 5 isolation mode and, you're right, changing the isolation ... > You will automatically get one aspnet_wp process for the 1.x app and one for the 2.0 ... > ASP application either run in inetinfo, a shared dllhost process ...
  • Re: IIS forcing app to use .Net 2.0 when 1.1 is specified
    ... Please use the IIS Administration Tool to reconfigure ... reported that they were configured to use .Net 2.0 in the default app ... the IIS Manager to specify which framework version a given application ... Configuration Error ...