IIS / STS / AD Authentication problem.

From: Jim Rodgers (Rodgers_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 02/07/05

Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 11:05:03 -0800

I am using Windows 2003 Server with IIS and STS.
I have a W2K3 domain, DNS is on one of the domain controllers.

I have my web server in the same domain and different webs in IIS/STS set up
so that each one is accesed by a host header.
(ie; sales.company.com goes to the sales website, hr.company.com goes to the
hr site and so on).

The STS sites are set up for Anonymous Access to be able to read the sites,
but to upload files, the users are prompted for their passwords.
The default window that pops up asks for their password to
"sales.company.com" which is obviously not correct, so that fails because
they need to authenticate against "company.com" instead of "sales.company.com"

I've tried changing the different authentication methods, but still have the
same issue.

If the users puts in "DOMAIN\userid" and their domain password, it works
just fine, but that's not good enough in this case, it needs to allow them
access based on their login ID without prompting.
Can anyone please help me with this issue?