Re: IIS6 Network Service Identity - when needed?

From: Joe (football_at_usa.com)
Date: 02/03/05

Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 03:58:02 -0800

David, I agree in theory with the recommendation "This is because an
application's permissions is something that a developer designs into the
application -- not you retroactively trying to infer the design" but as
could be inferred from the post, we are new to this W2003/IIS6/.Net
environment. With IIS5, this Identity issue wasn't an issue; now it is
and we're trying to get a grip on what type of things (ex.
System.diagnostics) cause an app to require permission beyond Network
Service. After we (mid tier and developers) understand what those items
are then, yes, the developers can relay that.

Given our newness to the environment, how/what would you recommend as a
way to determine if an app requires permission beyond Network Service
ala Local System?

Joe

  • Re: Home computer problem
    ... of credibility has been utterly destroyed by your recommendation of ... surfers to a fake antivirus website via malicious JavaScript code injected ... cross-scripting and click-jacking attempts. ... temporary or NO permission, all with a click or two of the mouse. ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: Blizz V Glider - $6million (thats gotta hurt)
    ... by the developers to beable to intergrate their software with their ... permission from Microsoft to integrate with Windows, ... on this case wouldn't even hold up, but I don't think Glider has ... Blizzard which developed the game ...
    (alt.games.warcraft)
  • Re: Munged and bogus addresses
    ... Do you have the nice lady's permission to use her domain name in your ... GeekTools Whois Proxy v5.0.3 Ready. ... Recommendation one; buy your own "not valid domain". ... use a real invalid domain, ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: My ML Issues
    ... permission was denied to install software updates from developers I ... exception for a certain developer/url/whatever? ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Mailbox Rights
    ... I have application that her developers need permission on the user ... "favorites" directory. ... For now I gave these developers delegation to open all the mailboxes on the ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)