Re: Certificate Export Problem

From: Miha Pihler [MVP] (mihap-news_at_atlantis.si)
Date: 01/12/05

Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 19:15:29 +0100

Hi,

If you have original CSR (including private key), you could import it back
in Certificate MMC under computer account -> Certificate Enrollment Requests
... Once you have your original request restored you then use certificate
that you received from VeriSign and proceed as if this was new request...

If you don't have original request, then you will have to generate new CSR
and request new certificate from VeriSign. I believe they will charge you
100 USD for this and not the full price. Still double check on this since
Thawte (another CA agency owned by VeriSign) will reissue SSL certificate
for free (under certain conditions -- including yours -- change of system).

Feel free to post back if you need more information.

--
Mike
Microsoft MVP - Windows Security
"cswarr" <cswarr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for the reply.  That may be the case.  I must not have checked off
> the
> exportable box when I installed it.  I'm going to have to look around for
> the
> original request.  I assume you mean the original CSR?  I think I have the
> certificate.  If I can find them, how do I install it on the new server?

<snip>

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Certificate Export Problem
    ... >> in Certificate MMC under computer account -> Certificate Enrollment ... Once you have your original request restored you then use ... >> that you received from VeriSign and proceed as if this was new request... ...
  • Re: Computer and User Certificates Issues
    ... Enrollment of User Certificates using the custom v2 User Certificate Template ... I can NOT request the custom v2 Computer Cert nor the included v1 no ... Concerning permissions, these are the exact permissions I am using now: ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Cannot request computer certificate.
    ... request a computer certificate for about 9 months. ... and verify that you can get a computer/server certificate from it. ... List of NetBt transports currently bound to the Redir ... DNS Host Name: srvr3.domain.com ...
  • RE: SIMple SSL question ??
    ... OK - i would also delete a cert request file lying around. ... But a certificate is a pub key + extra info. ... That said - if someone compromises the server he will also find a way to retrieve the private key. ... traffic between the initial web server and the client. ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.security)
  • Re: IIS newbie trying to recover lost pending request for certificate
    ... >>I created a request for an SSL certificate in IIS 5.0. ... > I might recommend re-submitting a new request to Verisign. ... > Verisign is one of the more expensive cert providers. ...