Re: Can I run IIS and Symantec/Norton Internet Security 2005 on the same machine?

From: StringFellow Hawk (Star_Fleet_Admiral_Q(NOSPAM)_at_(SPAMNOT)hotmail.com)
Date: 10/26/04

Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 20:16:59 -0400

I can add this for you - I'm running XP Pro SP2, IIS 5.1 and Norton System
Works Premier 2005, which includes NAV - it is running just fine, no
problems with IIS, ASP, .NET framework or VS.NET 2003.

--
StringFellow Hawk
"Dom, give me turbos"
"Greg" <groups@harrisconsultinggroup.com> wrote in message
> This is a reworked-repost of what I posted yesterday, plus some extra
> info that I have gained in the last 24 hours with the help of Ken
> (Thank you).
>
> The problem is that I have just installed Symantec/Norton Internet
> Security 2005 and it has locked up my web services.
>
> I have tried to switch off all options for Symantec/Norton Internet
> Security and got the same result.
>
> Specifically, the World Wide Web Publishing service hung on starting.
>
> So why has it not started?
> I looked at the properties...
> File path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\inetsrv\inetinfo.exe
> It is set to auto start
> Logon: Use local system account
> Failures: Take no action
> Dependencies: IIS Admin
>
> The log info for it shows.
>
> The World Wide Web Publishing service hung on starting.

> Date: 25/10/2004
> Time: 05:38:32
> Type Error
> User: N/A
> Computer: GMH_LAPTOP
> Source: Service Control Manager
> Category: None
> Event ID: 7022

> The service IISADMIN (C:\WINDOWS\System32\inetsrv\inetinfo.exe) IS
> RUNNING.
>
> Also, when I take menu option...  Start - Control Panel -
> Administrative Tools - Internet Information Services, Nothing happens
>
> The question that I have is:
> Can I run IIS on the same machine as I am running Symantec/Norton
> Internet Security 2005 on?
> If not, how should I protect my laptop when I am in the field and I
> need to connect it to the net?
>
> Environment
> Opp Sys: Win XP Pro V5.1
> Visual Studio: MS Development Environment 2003 V7.1.3088
> Dot Net Framework: V1.1.4322
> IE: V6.0
>
> Any advice would be greatly appreciated
> Thanks in advance
> Greg

Relevant Pages

  • RE: Followup: IIS terminating services
    ... I just did a search for "The World Wide Web Publishing Service service terminated unexpectedly" and this is one of the threads that came up. ... IIS start command received from user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM. ... For additional information specific to this message please visit the Microsoft Online Support site located at: http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp. ... The following corrective action will be taken in 1 milliseconds: ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis)
  • Re: IIS 5.1 Dead In The Water
    ... >If IIS seems to work when you install it but then seems ... >were there even before I first installed IIS. ... >is disabling IIS ... >>The World Wide Web Publishing service hung on starting. ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis)
  • Re: Can I run IIS and Symantec/Norton Internet Security 2005 on the same machine?
    ... Since this is a firewall (I ... each firewall software package is different - in ZA Pro I added them to the ... > I have tried to switch off all options for Symantec/Norton Internet ... the World Wide Web Publishing service hung on starting. ...
  • Can I run IIS and Symantec/Norton Internet Security 2005 on the same machine?
    ... Security 2005 and it has locked up my web services. ... I have tried to switch off all options for Symantec/Norton Internet ... the World Wide Web Publishing service hung on starting. ...
  • Re: Cant start W3SVC after upgrade
    ... The World Wide Web Publishing Service is exiting due to an error. ... > iMAIL Reporter - Reports on iMAIL server and POP users ... > LogFileManager - IIS LogFile Management Tool ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis)