Re: "Hidden" HTTP 401 Errors

From: Eric Kassan (mail_at_EricKassan.net)
Date: 10/24/04

Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 16:22:13 -0700

As I mentioned in my original question, I can understand this for the first
request to a session, but I am seeing this happen many times throughout a
session. A couple examples:

1. A page is requested with security credentials, later the same second the
browser requests an image referenced in the page without credentials
(first). Failure triggers the request to be resent with credentials so the
user sees the site "working".

2. Eight minutes later, the user clicks a link referencing another page on
the same site. The request comes in (first) without credentials.

I looked at:

INFO: How IIS Authenticates Browser Clients
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;264921
"When Internet Explorer has established a connection with the server by
using an authentication method other than Anonymous, it automatically passes
the credentials for every new request during the duration of the session."

So this shouldn't happen. The clients involved are IE 6.0. What am I
missing?

Thanks.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: "Hidden" HTTP 401 Errors
    ... How is your session timeout set? ... A page is requested with security credentials, ... Failure triggers the request to be resent with credentials so ...
  • Re: User control remember state across pages without session
    ... Its a shame Microsoft don't extend viewstate beyond a single page because it ... An HTTP Request is received by the web server. ... It sends a Response to the client. ... > Request for a Page comes from any client, the Session Collection has a new ...
  • Re: IIS bug-Concurrent request lock before IHttpModule.AcquireRequ
    ... into the session object. ... You can not have 2 simultaneous request for the same session. ... public partial class slow: System.Web.UI.Page ... public override void ProcessRequest ...
  • Re: IIS bug-Concurrent request lock before IHttpModule.AcquireRequ
    ... shutDownMessage, ... IHttpModule stores the Hashtable of session objects in a private member ... You can not have 2 simultaneous request for the same ... protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs ...
  • Re: Multiple instances of app under IIs and global com object - is it a problem?
    ... If IIS has, say, a pool of 25 threads, and your ASP Sessions do not exhibit ... objects) then you may not be looking at the same data when your next request ... This is why Session-level variables were provided -- in the Session ... this multiplicity of Module-level data means that you cannot ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis)