Re: Newbie needs info on using SSL.

From: Bernard (qbernard_at_hotmail.com.discuss)
Date: 10/06/04

    Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 11:55:45 +0800

    You can try the following:
    For IIS5.0, try makecert.exe (not tested)
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=2b742795-d0f0-4a66-b27f-22a95fcd3425

    Certificate Creation Tool (Makecert.exe)
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cptools/html/cpgrfcertificatecreationtoolmakecertexe.asp

    --
    Regards,
    Bernard Cheah
    "Ken Varn" <nospam> wrote in message
    > Thanks.  Good information, but just one problem that I forgot to mention.
    > Our embedded device does not use a server version of Windows 2000.  We use
    > Windows 2000 Pro.  It does not come with Certificate Server.  Is there
    some
    > way to obtain this for Windows 2000 Pro?
    >
    > --
    > -----------------------------------
    > Ken Varn
    > Senior Software Engineer
    > Diebold Inc.
    >
    > EmailID = varnk
    > Domain = Diebold.com
    > -----------------------------------
    > "Bernard" <qbernard@hotmail.com.discuss> wrote in message
    > > Few useful KBs
    > > 324069 - HOW TO Set Up an HTTPS Service in IIS
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=324069
    > >
    > > 298805 - HOW TO Enable SSL for All Customers Who Interact with Your Web
    > Site
    > > in Internet Information Services
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=298805
    > >
    > > Using Certificate Server 2.0 to Generate a Server Certificate for Use
    with
    > > IIS 5.0
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=228984
    > >
    > > HOW TO: Configure SSL in a Windows 2000 IIS 5.0 Test Environment by
    Using
    > > Certificate Server 2.0
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=290625
    > >
    > > --
    > > Regards,
    > > Bernard Cheah
    > > http://www.tryiis.com/
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/
    > > http://www.msmvps.com/bernard/
    > >

    > > "Ken Varn" <nospam> wrote in message
    > > > I have been a programmer for quite some time, but just recently have
    > > started
    > > > doing HTML development using ASP.NET.  One of the areas that I am a
    bit
    > > > confused on is the use of SSL.  I have an embedded system running IIS
    > that
    > > > serves up web pages to web clients.  I would like to secure and
    encrypt
    > > the
    > > > web pages using SSL, but I am not sure how that is accomplished in the
    > > > embedded world.  It is not real practical to have to register for a
    new
    > > > certificate on every box that we sell.  Is it acceptable to generate
    our
    > > own
    > > > security certificate and use that for secured communications to our
    > unit?
    > > > If so, could someone point me in the direction on how to do this?
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > -----------------------------------
    > > > Ken Varn
    > > > Senior Software Engineer
    > > > Diebold Inc.
    > > >
    > > > EmailID = varnk
    > > > Domain = Diebold.com

    • Re: New Install/New problems with CRLs...
      ... authentication) works with various configurations of IIS, ... Directory, and Certificate Server. ... When Active Directory is NOT involved (e.g., IIS on a non-domain machine ... >> Certificate Server is configured as a Standalone CA. ...
    • RE: Certificate Server Settings
      ... Certificate Server is to process certificate requests and issue ... in IIS4 or Integrated Windows authentication in IIS5. ... and IIS will give ...
    • RE: https connection
      ... A web server can install a Certificate from a Certificate Server. ... Implement SSL on a Windows 2000 IIS 5.0 Computer ...
    • RE: Certificate Cerver
      ... The only thing that I understand from the question is that you have installed certificate server on a machine in a domain. ... | pops certificate installation and no matter wich folder i put it in it pops ... What does the certificate installation pop up say? ...
    • Re: How do I configure SSL in the Intranet unless solicity certify
      ... Using Certificate Server 2.0 to Generate a Server Certificate for Use with ... Configure SSL in a Windows 2000 IIS 5.0 Test Environment by Using ... >>server cert [recommended because this cert will be> trusted by most all ...