Re: IIS5 not impersonating Basic Auth'd user on one server

From: Ken Schaefer (kenREMOVE_at_THISadOpenStatic.com)
Date: 08/10/04

Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 22:01:58 +1000

Hi,

What exactly is the problem?

I assume you have a user that is hitting the ASP page on your IIS server
(serverA). The ASP page requires Basic Authentication. The ASP page, in
turn, attempts to access an Exchange box (serverB) using WebDAV? Am I
reading this correctly? And the 401 response is on the IIS box? 401 is
Access Denied (for whatever reason) - the user may need to provide
credentials, or there's some other issue.

Cheers
Ken

"Lee Derbyshire" <email@owaforpda.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I originally posted this to the WinHTTP NG, but was advised that it would
> be
> better sent here because it seemed likely that IIS5 (on one server only)
> was
> not impersonating the logged-on user, and this would be the place to ask
> if
> there were any IIS settings that I could check.
>
> Anyway, here is my original post. Any ideas?

> I have some classical ASP Microsoft.WinHTTPRequest.5.1 code that uses
> SetAutoLogonPolicy(0) (i.e. always). On nearly all servers it works fine,
> but at one site it fails on one server (although it works on another in
> the
> same AD Domain).
>
> The code runs under Basic Auth, and can display the "AUTH_USER" and
> "AUTH_PASSWORD" okay. However, when I look at the IIS logs on the same
> server, I do not see the credentials in the requests, just a '-',
> indicating
> no creds, and a 401 response.
>
> The code is, like I say, protected by Basic Auth, and the requests are DAV
> requests sent to an Exchange VDir protected by Integrated and Basic Auth
> on
> the same server.
>
> The code normally works fine on other servers, just not on this one
> server.
> Any ideas what I should start looking at?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Lee.

Relevant Pages

  • RE: asp pages error
    ... our intranet connects to several access databases we dont get an asp ... I tried to add a new site to iis, ... > down and type the full content of the error message to the Newsgroup. ... > SP1 on your SBS 2K3 server? ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Problem with freezing on IIS
    ... Low protection means the web app is running inside inetInfo.exe itself ... something wrong with COM+ or IIS is having some kind of logon problem. ... When we had it set to Medium, it would not even process ASP pages. ... settings (as is the problem server). ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis)
  • Re: wsx to asp ad rotator doesnt work
    ... control is enabled on the IIS box? ... username/password that the IIS server will accept and see ... >>Also, you can access the asp page with a remote browser, ... >>sure that the server is reading the wsx file. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.server)
  • Re: ASP app not working in IIS 6
    ... specific to Win2003 or if it is a IIS 6 issue. ... server with personal web service. ... "To circumvent this silliness and get real ASP errors, ... >debugging the application in Visual Development. ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis)
  • Re: Problem with freezing on IIS
    ... If we set this to Low (IIS Process), ... When we had it set to Medium, it would not even process ASP pages. ... I don't have the problem on my other server, which is also using the default ... I have the identical ASP settings (including asp script timeout of 90 ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis)