Re: Access Localhost from a remote computer?

From: Tyler Carver (xfreshy222-2_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 08/04/04

Date: 3 Aug 2004 17:31:20 -0700

"Jerry Pisk" <jerryiii@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<O9Ps91PeEHA.3680@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>...
> Of course you can't, localhost is a literal, it never gets looked up by the
> name resolver. It will always resolve to 127.0.0.1, no matter what you do
> (short of writing your own name resolver that will break the IP standard).
>
> Jerry

Actually localhost isn't literal and that is why it is in the host
file. Why even have an entry in the host file if it was never meant
to be configurable. By the way this complete scenario works using
Windows 2003 Server as the client. Windows 2003 Server will route
localhost to any IP address that is set in the host file. If I
changed my host file to be

64.233.167.99 localhost

Then typing http://localhost will pull up www.google.com.

Tyler