Re: Access Localhost from a remote computer?

From: Tyler Carver (xfreshy222-2_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 08/04/04

Date: 3 Aug 2004 17:31:20 -0700

"Jerry Pisk" <jerryiii@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<O9Ps91PeEHA.3680@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>...
> Of course you can't, localhost is a literal, it never gets looked up by the
> name resolver. It will always resolve to 127.0.0.1, no matter what you do
> (short of writing your own name resolver that will break the IP standard).
>
> Jerry

Actually localhost isn't literal and that is why it is in the host
file. Why even have an entry in the host file if it was never meant
to be configurable. By the way this complete scenario works using
Windows 2003 Server as the client. Windows 2003 Server will route
localhost to any IP address that is set in the host file. If I
changed my host file to be

64.233.167.99 localhost

Then typing http://localhost will pull up www.google.com.

Tyler

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Access Localhost from a remote computer?
    ... "Connection refused" does not sound like an IIS webserver error to me, ... > reasons I want to access the Server 2003 box using explicitly ... > an entry into my XP Pro box's host file. ... > Localhost by default uses the 127.0.0.1 to direct itself to the same ...
  • Re: cache-only named wont resolve "localhost"
    ... > nslookup is specifically intended for querying a name server. ... resolver library is supposed to look at both databases. ... > working for mozilla is the only anomaly you are seeing. ... > syntax you are using for pointing mozilla at your localhost, ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Access Localhost from a remote computer?
    ... the order of name resolution didn't read the host file. ... > reasons I want to access the Server 2003 box using explicitly ... > Localhost by default uses the 127.0.0.1 to direct itself to the same ... >> For software development reasons I want to access a Web site set up as ...
  • Re: Access Localhost from a remote computer?
    ... reasons I want to access the Server 2003 box using explicitly ... an entry into my XP Pro box's host file. ... Localhost by default uses the 127.0.0.1 to direct itself to the same ... > For software development reasons I want to access a Web site set up as ...