Re: IUSR_MACHINE and IWAM_MACHINE Web Service Problems

From: Jeff Cochran (jeff.nospam_at_zina.com)
Date: 08/03/04

Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 14:46:23 GMT

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 20:51:25 -0700, "Knight of the Eld" <Knight of the
Eld@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Is there any reason why sites with Anonymous Access would fail every day the next morning in IIS 5.0 Windows 2000 Server? The password for IUSR_MACHINE is being managed by IIS. It seems to work fine after I reselect the user again and the check the "Let IIS Manage password" checkbox, Restart IIS. Then, the next day, same thing all over again. I have run the IIS Lockdown utility and set .ini file to allow .asp, .aspx, etc.

Look at your event log for possible answers.

>If our site hosts a web service that calls into a SQL Server database on another machine using a SQL Server 2000 User Account, how do I set up to ensure that this can be done through Anonymous User? In other words, I am just hosting the Web Services on my Web Server and a Partner's .aspx page calls into our Web Server to serve up our Customer data. The Data is on another server in our Organization, not the Web Server. The Partner's .aspx page doesn't feed us any type of credentials whatsoever. I am 99% sure they have hardcoded a DSN into the .asmx code which is served up on our IIS 5.0 Server. The DSN uses SQL Server User not Windows Integrated Security. If you could refer me to a tool or an Article that will help fix this problem it would be much appreciated.

See:

HOWTO: IIS and SQL Server on Separate Machines with Trusted
Connection:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q176379

Jeff

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Cant run IIS and SQL Server on Separate Machines with Trusted Connection
    ... > Trusted Connection. ... The IIS ... > passed on to SQL Server. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • SQL and IIS on Separate machines
    ... I have IIS and SQL server on separate machines. ... stick to Windows Authentication and not use SQL ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.security)
  • Is it possible for IIS and SQL server on Separate Machines with integrated auth
    ... Is it possible for IIS and SQL server on Separate Machines ... with integrated windows Authentication in ASP.NET? ...
  • Re: New to Merge/Replication
    ... ADO.NET 3.0 includes "Synchronization Services" that does not require IIS. ... Hitchhiker's Guide to Visual Studio and SQL Server ... It was my deepest hope that Merge/Replication between SQL Compact Edition and SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Edition would have it's own sync services NOT dependent on IIS. ... You can use merge replication with SQL Server on your main desktop serving as the publisher with SQL Compact on PPC, TabletPC, or other desktops as subscribers, so that would probably be the easiest solution for you. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.ce)
  • Re: Help on synch to SQL server
    ... from SQL CE to SQL Server from your smart-device application's code. ... This can occur whenever the device has a network path to IIS, ... Unlike merge replication between SQL Servers where you can use RMO ... Ideally I would like to use Sql CE to synch with a SQL ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.ce)