RE: Website allows everyone in, not matter what

From: Chris Martin (Martin_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 06/25/04

Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 08:41:43 -0700

It might be because you have anonymous access enabled. You can diable it in the directory security tab while in the properties for the site. You should see a check box that says something about allowing anonymous access. I suggest right clicking on the directories that you do not want users to have access to, and then click on properties. Once there, i think you click on the directory security tab.. then uncheck the allow anonymous checkbox. I dont have IIS here to double check, but that might initially solve your issue.

Overall i think it might be better to not use windows users for authentication to the site. At least right now ;) I'd suggest creating a database to store user information and code the site for user permissions. I know this will take a lot of work, but i think that's the preferred practice. Most people do not give out user logins to people that are internet browsers. This might cause some interesting web site compromise if the user hacks your site. If they hack your site, they will be able to get at your system via a user login, which is bad. Microsoft already greatly restricts the anonymous user from accessing the system. users have more abilities within the system.

I wouldnt be surprised that 5 years down the road (one more server OS release by microsoft) that they will be able to integrate AD to handle access rights for different users on a web site.

This is mainly my opinion, if anything know's or thinks otherwise, feel free to speak up. I'm always ready to learn something new :)