Re: about:blank SPYWARE... help me!!!

From: meripete (meripete.17l3de_at_mail.webservertalk.com)
Date: 06/09/04

Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 20:29:19 -0500

I booted used the following steps to solve the same problem:
1. Run Adaware 6.0 and delete anything it finds.
2. Boot in Safe Mode (F8 during startup).
3. Deleted a bunch of files that had a time-stamp matching the time
when my problems started. For my system, it meant the following files
from system32: bhbpk.dll, dwspyvb.dll, fjfklm.dll, imh.dll i think this
was the culprit), lcpjl.dll, lihnkmc.dll, mhim.dll, wpa.dbl; from
windows: dict.dat, zaebalinah.exe, winh.exe, iun6002.exe.
4. Still in safe mode, I ran Adaware again. It found one more piece of
spyware.
5. Ran HijackThis.exe and removed anything that was related to Internet
Explorer except google toolbar stuff.
6. Rebooted in normal mode. Launched IE and set my homepage to google.
7. Closed IE and launched it again to see if the home page would revert
back to about:blank. Luckily, it didn't.
8. Rebooted and tried closing and opening IE a couple of time to be
entirely sure.

--
meripete

  • Re: Nasty Virus
    ... Have Adaware remove the parasites in Safe Mode and delete the hosts file. ... | Restore and re-apply any ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: Control Panel wont open
    ... I used Adaware 6, Spybot S&D, and SwatIt. ... I also have Norton Internet Security which is along with the previous ... I did as you suggested by running them in Safe mode along with Normal mode ... > download it and install it. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.file_system)
  • Re: 8oeucz.exe file malicious & cant delete, help!
    ... try downloading AdAware also being sure to update it right away which is an option ... worth trying to run AdAware in safe mode if it does not work otherwise. ... Internet Explorer by going into tools/advanced options and disable third party ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: Please Help! Hijacked Network!
    ... that AdAware misses, and visa-versa. ... There's a free tool called AutoRuns on ... >> I suspect it's just a key left over from one of the old ... >> The good news is that Safe Mode prevents the queues from ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Ask Windows XP Expert Walter Clayton About Spyware
    ... programs in safe mode? ... >> Generally all I use is AdAware first followed by SpyBot. ... It's also wise to follow up with installing SpywareBlaster. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)