Re: IIS 6 Question re: FTP

From: Mike Singer (nospam_zookeeper_at_ehr.com)
Date: 03/30/04

Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 13:56:14 -0500

We use PGP or the free open source version www.gnupg.com in conjunction w/
FTP. Some customers are still sticklers saying that the user id and
password is not encrypted on logon, but most are pretty reasonable since
unauthorized access to the site would only allow you get to a very strongly
encrypted file. The other option we've seen customers ask for is SSH. It
it a very reasonably priced server www.ssh.com and many people already have
the client for it. It provides encryption end to end. Of course, we still
prefer pgp encrypted files since files on servers are much more likely to be
compromised than files in transit.

"Debbie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello!
>
> Our new state guidelines are mandating encrypted FTP.
> Does anyone know if IIS 6 does this?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Debbie

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Free Wi-Fi Hotspot?
    ... Only if encryption was turned on. ... Another alternative is to install a managed hotspot provided by one of the major ... The advantage is that WiFi customers do not have access to the internet through ... The WiFi service provider assumes all of the liability for abuse, ...
    (uk.telecom.broadband)
  • Re: firewalls that can ssl ftp?
    ... Secure Transfers ... Bruce Schneier's Blowfish encryption for data transfers. ... Secure SSL based Web Administration Portal ... Works with other FTP Clients/Servers ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • RE: Encryption for FTP/MAil/Web
    ... Subject: Encryption for FTP/MAil/Web ... Tunneling ftp through ssh ... ssl-ftp can encrypt the control & data channel; ... As for ssl-ftp servers, I only found one RFC compliant one for Windows; ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: How to secure FTP?
    ... >> So I am also hearing in this thread that secure FTP isn't really ... It's meant more for encryption than anything else? ... > and password are required by the server in order to log on, ... > other mechanisms (such as SSL) that are supported by a number of third ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis.ftp)
  • Re: Free Wi-Fi Hotspot?
    ... require a username/password logon for authentication. ... Only if encryption was turned on. ... That may not be true if using 802.1 authentication. ... The advantage is that WiFi customers do not have access to the ...
    (uk.telecom.broadband)