Re: II6

From: Ken Schaefer (kenREMOVE_at_THISadOpenStatic.com)
Date: 03/13/04

Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 19:56:20 +1100

"Con" <lname@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:Oxk36$%23BEHA.2404@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
: I am unsure if this is a new problem or just how IIS6.0 functions; I setup
: SSL site on our server and tested user logons, if a login is successful or
: not it is reported in the evenviewer security view as a golden key
: (Successful). We need to be able to monitor our site and be able to
: determine if people are trying to hack our web site, how do I get event
: viewer (read some method) of showing failed logins as red ? If there is
: another way please suggest.
:

On an IIS6 system failed logons should show up as a padlock in the Security
Event Log. There is no way, using Event Viewer, to show these as "red".
Instead, you can filter the event log to show only failed logons (eg Event
529)

If you need to view these logs elsewhere, then you either need to write some
code (eg if you want to view them on a webpage) -or- you need a 3rd party
product that can alert you when things happen.

None of this has to do with IIS though.

Cheers
Ken

Relevant Pages

  • Re: How diagnose unexplained hangs? Works fine in SAFE mode
    ... Sorry I forgot to include the event log paste but here it is now.. ... Chet Shannon ... > Also do you another System Error report in Event Viewer? ... This will paste the info from the Event Viewer Error Report ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: .MC file and Event Viewer: Placeholders for Categories?
    ... strings that are merged into the message before Event Viewer displays the ... These strings must not be in English or any other specific language. ... app supplies the text to the event viewer. ... someone who has a message 602 in the event log needs to be able to decode it ...
    (microsoft.public.vc.mfc)
  • Re: Windows XP error messages disappear too fast
    ... More info needed, Jim. ... To view the event log: ... View and Manage Event Logs in Event Viewer in Windows XP ... Software Environment/Windows Error Reporting. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: blue screen error - Symbols can not be loaded...
    ... in the system event log at the time of shut down i see 2 errors. ... You can access Event Viewer by selecting Start, Control Panel, ... Symbols can not be loaded because symbol path is not initialized. ... Your debugger is not using the correct symbols ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: .MC file and Event Viewer: Placeholders for Categories?
    ... strings that are merged into the message before Event Viewer displays the ... app supplies the text to the event viewer. ... someone who has a message 602 in the event log needs to be able to decode it ...
    (microsoft.public.vc.mfc)