Re: Secure FTP

From: Karl Levinson [x y] mvp (levinson_k_at_despammed.com)
Date: 01/29/04

    Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 05:59:18 -0500

    These links may help:

    www.webdav.org/projects
    http://securityadmin.info/faq.asp#ftpencryption

    With the possible exception of WebDAV, I think pretty much every other
    solution for encrypting FTP requires all FTP clients to install and use new
    custom software.

    "Wei-Dong Xu [MSFT]" <v-wdxu@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Fabrizio,
    >
    > Thanks for posting in the community!
    >
    > From my understanding to this issue, you are going to use FTP with SSL to
    > build one secure connection with client.
    >
    > I agree with Mylo. The OpenSSH will be very helpful for you regarding this
    > issue. The OpenSSH is located at:
    > http://www.openssh.com/
    >
    > In addition, you can also use WebDAV for the file transfer. WebDAV can
    take
    > advantage of SSL directly. The kb article 323470 will provide more
    > assistance for you regarding this:
    > 323470 HOW TO: Create a Secure WebDAV Publishing Directory
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=323470
    >
    > Please feel free to let me know if you have any further questions. I am
    > standing by to be of assistance.
    >
    > Does this answer your question? Thank you for using Microsoft NewsGroup!
    >
    > Wei-Dong Xu
    > Microsoft Product Support Services
    rights.

    • Re: ftp versus WebDav
      ... Sent via Windows Mail on Windows Vista, ... I thought that I might use WebDav on one w2003 member server on my SBS2003 and eliminate the standalone FTP site but keep a good level of security. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: webdav
      ... > i would have like to know your opinion about webdav and its ... If you're comparing DAV to FTP, ... Deny from all ...
      (Focus-Linux)
    • Re: Access in remotley
      ... > configure iis web server to support of ftp or WebDAV, ...
    • Re: building a server web FTP with apache
      ... Immediately discard any use of FTP, ... > passwords and server certs, but they don't suffer the unneccessary delay ... Then use WebDAV, which Adobe GoLive supports. ... but their latest support system is rather weird. ...
      (comp.os.linux.security)
    • Re: Access in remotley
      ... iis web server to support of ftp or WebDAV, ...