Re: IIS acessing SQL if not in the same domain

From: Michael G. Schneider (
Date: 01/28/04

Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 14:17:53 +0100

"Gaah" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> If you want this to work even if domains aren't the same and without using
> the user/password trick on both machines, you should configure MDAC
> to work with TCP/IP instead of Named Pipes.
> Run cliconfg.exe to configure this.
> This works for whatever version of windows you're running.

You also name it a "trick". So it is no advisable to do so? And it might
break in the future?

I do not yet understand the "TCP/IP vs. Named Pipe" remark. How is
authentification done, if TCP/IP is choosen? Do userid/password have to be
inserted into the connection string?

Michael G. Schneider

Relevant Pages

  • RE: SQLOLEDB always uses Named Pipes
    ... The order is tcp np. ... Disabling Named Pipes in the client configuration utility allowed dbnetlib ... So what exactly does disabling a protocol achieve, ... Is prefixing the server with tcp: the preferred means to request a tcp/ip ...
  • Re: Problems installing SMS 2003 and SQL on separate boxes
    ... > After spending some serious time on the phone with Microsoft Support ... Run cliconfg from the Site Server ... highlight Named Pipes and TCP/IP and click ... Make sure that on the right-hand side, Named Pipes is first in the ...
  • Re: Communciation between MS SQL Server and client
    ... I understood named pipes to be an app to app info exchange by files. ... Named pipes can operate over TCP/IP, ... NetBios is a protocol that I understood was native to Novel networks, ... Named Pipes over NetBEUI ...
  • =?Utf-8?Q?Re:_st=C3=A4ndige_Zunahme_von_offenen?= =?Utf-8?Q?_Ports_zum_Server?=
    ... "Elmar Boye" schrieb: ... > Dann müsste da noch Named Pipes zum Zuge kommen, ... > Wenn der Verbindungsaufbau wie Du oben schreibst über TCP/IP ...
  • Re: TCP/IP Verbindung zum MSSQL Server
    ... >> Zunächst mal verwendest Du offensichtlich Named Pipes. ... wenn Du eine TCP/IP Verbindung willst;-) ... sondern in der SQL Server Netzwerkkonfiguration ...