Re: Allowing access To Our INTRANET site from the outside

From: Karl Levinson [x y] mvp (levinson_k_at_despammed.com)
Date: 01/26/04

Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 14:01:19 -0500

First, get them to sign a form saying that you recommended they use VPN on
this date, and they decided this was too difficult for them, in case the
server is hacked in the future.

Their solution may be secure enough, depending on what data is kept there,
as long as you use SSL. http://www.iisfaq.com/ssl, www.freessl.com and
www.entrust.net have information on inexpensive or free SSL certs. After
all, this is more or less the same level of security your internet banking
uses.

Using Windows 2000 Server Certificate Services to generate a user cert for
them as well might be something to consider if you wish.

"Steve" <skeet4me@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I am hoping someone might give me some better ideas than what I have
> come up with on my own. I have our Internet Site in the DMZ and our
> Intranet site is inside and can only be accessed from the inside. The
> big bosses want the board to have access to our intranet site. My
> first solution was to give them a VPN account and have them access it
> from the outside via VPN like we do, however the bosses think this is
> too much trouble. They want a link on the internet site that they can
> just click on and log in with a user name and password. My concern is
> security and I don't want to have to spend my budget money on
> something like this. Can anyone give me some ideas how I can put a
> link on our internet site and have them authenicated securely?
>
> Thanks!

Relevant Pages

  • Re: The Remote Access can not find the TS with VPN.
    ... When we make an VPN connection (on the internet site) to the SBSERVER then ... We have also installed on the terminal server an ftp server, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Data collection for remote access trend reporting
    ... periodically do a traceroute to an Internet site (say, for example, ... start a Cisco remote access VPN session ... move some data around and record latency and throughput ... log all the collected data and periodically forward it to a central ...
    (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)
  • Allowing access To Our INTRANET site from the outside
    ... Intranet site is inside and can only be accessed from the inside. ... big bosses want the board to have access to our intranet site. ... first solution was to give them a VPN account and have them access it ... They want a link on the internet site that they can ...
  • Re: Impossible to open a 2002 DB from network path?
    ... Intranet site is identified as an Internet site when you use an FQDN or an ... > your machine or to a network location where you have access to." ... > After that message I had a look at the Internet Explorer preferences and I ...
    (microsoft.public.access.conversion)
  • Re: Migrating ASP/MSSQL app from IIS 4 to IIS 6
    ... > We have moved an Internet and Intranet site over to our IIS 6 MS Small ... > Business Server 2003. ... The Internet site works fine, ... Don't use your sa account for your applications. ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.db)