Re: How safe is IIS on Windows XP

From: Jeff Cochran (jcochran.nospam_at_naplesgov.com)
Date: 01/15/04

Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 14:21:48 GMT

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 03:17:07 -0800, "Ness"

>Just wondering if anyone can tell me what the security is
>like if I install the Windows XP Personal Web Server(IIS)
>on my machine. Will I be more vulnerable considing I have
>a cable internet connection. I was told in my uni class
>not to install IIS on Windows 2000 if we have cable
>connection and was wondering if it was the same case for
>Win XP

IIS is as secure as you make it. Or don't make it. Follow the
security guidelines, use your firewall correctly and maintain critical
updates and you'll be fine. Think about it, if it was unsafe then
millions of systems wouldn't be working securely using IIS.

Jeff