Re: How safe is IIS on Windows XP

From: Jeff Cochran (jcochran.nospam_at_naplesgov.com)
Date: 01/15/04

Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 14:21:48 GMT

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 03:17:07 -0800, "Ness"

>Just wondering if anyone can tell me what the security is
>like if I install the Windows XP Personal Web Server(IIS)
>on my machine. Will I be more vulnerable considing I have
>a cable internet connection. I was told in my uni class
>not to install IIS on Windows 2000 if we have cable
>connection and was wondering if it was the same case for
>Win XP

IIS is as secure as you make it. Or don't make it. Follow the
security guidelines, use your firewall correctly and maintain critical
updates and you'll be fine. Think about it, if it was unsafe then
millions of systems wouldn't be working securely using IIS.

Jeff

Relevant Pages

  • Secure Windows XP from hackers/unwanted intruders.
    ... >Checklist for Securing a Windows XP IIS 5.1 Webserver ... >install it as an optiontal extra. ... >Regardless of the mechanism a hacker uses to break into ...
  • >>>> INSTALL IIS <<<<
    ... Install Iis On Win2008 Server ... Php 5.2.4 Install Confgure Windows Iis ...
    (misc.kids)
  • Problem with ASP.NET
    ... Visual Stodio.NET cannot create or open the application, the likeliest problem is that required components are not installed on the local web server. ... Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows Server 2003. ... Install Internet Information Services (IIS). ... Install Visual Studio components that are required for Visual Studio ...
  • Re: cant be said
    ... Even if you install a web server on Windows XP Home, you will not be able to install the FP ... > Hello G** The official answer is that you cannot use IIS on Windows XP Home ...
    (microsoft.public.frontpage.client)
  • Re: Installing IIS
    ... computer that is running Microsoft Windows XP Professional with Service ... Please insert the "Windows XP ... The Windows Components Wizard must install files in such ... message when you try to install IIS on a computer that is running Windows ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)