Re: Problems viewing .pdf etc... over secure https:\\ pages

From: Chris Butler - Network Manager (cbutler_at_arthurterry.bham.sch.uk)
Date: 11/27/03

Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 15:40:35 -0800

Jeff

The error we get when we click on the required document
is:-

"Unable to download "**DOCUMENT**" the requested file is
not available, please try later"
We get this after logging into to the secure area, going
into the intranet, and selecting the required document I
want to view.

Regarding permissions, I have tried this as administrator,
and has the same error message - All the document files
have "Everyone" on the permissions.

The docs are pdf, xls and docs, I have all the software to
view these files.

I am the Syetem Administrator, so have full access to the
system.

Regarding the last bit about firewalls etc, I also have an
server running on my site hosting my internet - there are
also documents on this server which is accesable by the
world - as I am not using https:// on this, I can access
all the required documents without any problems.

You said it was not a IIS problem, but if I mention that
the intranet site has been set within a virtual directory,
so it can be accessed via this secure link, does this make
things any clearer, or just confuses the matter. IIS is
running on a W2K server - not long had it installed, just
getting to grips of what to do.

Many Thanks
Regards
Chris

Network Manager"

>>Hi List,
>>
>>Will try to make things a bit clearer -
>>
>>Have an intranet available on my LAN - this has lots of
>>documents on it, .doc, .xls, .pdf etc etc
>>
>>I am able to access this intranet from home on a secure
>>login. Why is it that when I am connected via https:/ I
>>am unable to view any of the above documents - is this
>>across the board with https, or am I missing a setting.
>
>It's not an IIS issue, but if you're logging in the
account may not
>have permission to those files or folders.
>
>But again, you aren't providing any useful details. You
say "unable
>to view" but there is no error message that the system
will produce by
>that name. Tell us the exact error you see, and exactly
what you're
>doing when you see it.
>
>For example, any PDF document requires Acrobat reader to
view. If you
>haven't installed the reader, you can't view it. But you
could mean
>that you can't see the document to click on, that you
click on it but
>it asks you to download it, that you click on it and an
error appears
>or anythuing else. All of which are different problems
with different
>solutions.
>
>Also, if you're not the administrator of the intranet,
contact the
>administrator and ask. They would know the settings in
place on your
>system. It may be that requests for PDF files are
blocked by a
>firewall, security policy or ISAPI filter such as URLScan.
>
>Jeff

so
>>I can't see
>>>your error message to help diagnose this.

>>intranet
>>the
>>>
>>>This points to IIS working correctly, and "RM Easylink"
>>being the
>>>culprit. Although the reason for this could be that
>>anytime someone
>>>tries to access them outside the intranet, someone
inside
>>the intranet
>>>deletes them. An actual description, error message or
>>the like might
>>>help pin it down better.

>>this
something