Re: Problems viewing .pdf etc... over secure https:\\ pages

From: Chris Butler - Network Manager (cbutler_at_arthurterry.bham.sch.uk)
Date: 11/27/03

Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 15:40:35 -0800

Jeff

The error we get when we click on the required document
is:-

"Unable to download "**DOCUMENT**" the requested file is
not available, please try later"
We get this after logging into to the secure area, going
into the intranet, and selecting the required document I
want to view.

Regarding permissions, I have tried this as administrator,
and has the same error message - All the document files
have "Everyone" on the permissions.

The docs are pdf, xls and docs, I have all the software to
view these files.

I am the Syetem Administrator, so have full access to the
system.

Regarding the last bit about firewalls etc, I also have an
server running on my site hosting my internet - there are
also documents on this server which is accesable by the
world - as I am not using https:// on this, I can access
all the required documents without any problems.

You said it was not a IIS problem, but if I mention that
the intranet site has been set within a virtual directory,
so it can be accessed via this secure link, does this make
things any clearer, or just confuses the matter. IIS is
running on a W2K server - not long had it installed, just
getting to grips of what to do.

Many Thanks
Regards
Chris

Network Manager"

>>Hi List,
>>
>>Will try to make things a bit clearer -
>>
>>Have an intranet available on my LAN - this has lots of
>>documents on it, .doc, .xls, .pdf etc etc
>>
>>I am able to access this intranet from home on a secure
>>login. Why is it that when I am connected via https:/ I
>>am unable to view any of the above documents - is this
>>across the board with https, or am I missing a setting.
>
>It's not an IIS issue, but if you're logging in the
account may not
>have permission to those files or folders.
>
>But again, you aren't providing any useful details. You
say "unable
>to view" but there is no error message that the system
will produce by
>that name. Tell us the exact error you see, and exactly
what you're
>doing when you see it.
>
>For example, any PDF document requires Acrobat reader to
view. If you
>haven't installed the reader, you can't view it. But you
could mean
>that you can't see the document to click on, that you
click on it but
>it asks you to download it, that you click on it and an
error appears
>or anythuing else. All of which are different problems
with different
>solutions.
>
>Also, if you're not the administrator of the intranet,
contact the
>administrator and ask. They would know the settings in
place on your
>system. It may be that requests for PDF files are
blocked by a
>firewall, security policy or ISAPI filter such as URLScan.
>
>Jeff

so
>>I can't see
>>>your error message to help diagnose this.

>>intranet
>>the
>>>
>>>This points to IIS working correctly, and "RM Easylink"
>>being the
>>>culprit. Although the reason for this could be that
>>anytime someone
>>>tries to access them outside the intranet, someone
inside
>>the intranet
>>>deletes them. An actual description, error message or
>>the like might
>>>help pin it down better.

>>this
something

>>>Last time I ran into the problem of not being able to
>>view PDF files
>>>it was because I had my eyes closed. It's probably not
>>the same issue
>>>you're facing, but from your description it could be.
>>Might try
>>>telling your users to open their eyes.
>>>
>>>Or try posting enough detail that we can actually help
>>instead of
>>>posting stupid replies like mine.
>>>
>>>Jeff
>>>.
>>>

>.

Relevant Pages

  • IIS and client certificate
    ... I would expose exchange web in internert and intranet. ... For internet I would secure witch client certificate. ...
  • Security: Preventing direct access to a PDF file
    ... Since Active Directory will not be rolled out to all sites in our company ... I'm working on alternative ways to secure our intranet ... This an essential feature of the site that somewhat restricts our options - ...
  • Re: I am looking fo ropen source package for "appointment package" for Doctors
    ... If you google medical emr software, ... Secondly, software can be used on an intranet also, not just the internet. ... But you had better ensure that the data is secure. ...
    (comp.lang.php)
  • What is the secure way to share data between Intranet and Extranet?
    ... I have the scenario where I have one database and need to allow to see the ... information accessible from Intranet and Extranet. ... for MS SQL and duplicating data. ... Which way is the most secure and feasible or is there something else. ...
  • What is the secure way to share data between Intranet and Extranet?
    ... I have the scenario where I have one database and need to allow to see the ... information accessible from Intranet and Extranet. ... for MS SQL and duplicating data. ... Which way is the most secure and feasible or is there something else. ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.general)