Re: IIS 5.0 can't handle multiple request at the same time with the same Web site(Application)?

From: Michael G. Schneider (mgs-AntiSpam_at_mgs-software.de)
Date: 11/22/03

Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 19:23:04 +0100

"PL" <pblse2@yahoo.se> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:OdiEZgOsDHA.2224@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

I am not sure, whether Rayman did a correct test. Neither did I try to
reproduce his findings. But I cannot understand your arguments against his
tests.

> What machine ? If you have single cpu there is no way any
> webserver can handle two requests at the exact same time.

This is what threads are good for. An IIS manages a pool of threads. Each
incoming request is assigned to one thread. And all threads should run
independently. So of course, the webserver can handle two requests at the
same time.

> And, what makes you think you were able to request at the exact same
> time ? You need a stress test application for that, you cant just open two
> webbrowsers and imagine that you are fast enough to make two
> simulataneous requests.
>
> Also, you can hardly get accurate timings with using Now, it only goes
> down to seconds.

Here handling one request lasts for about 35 seconds. In this special case,
the Now-function is a perfect tool for measuring. If I read the data
correctly, the first request ends at exactly the same time, that the second
request starts. So the scenario is as follows...

- first request is handled
- 35 seconds calculation time
- first request is finished
- second request is handled
- 35 seconds calculation time
- second request is finished

I do not see a reason, why Now shouldn't be usable in this case.

Rayman, if you want to do some more test, stay with your scenario, but
change the loop. Do something more usefull inside the loop. For example read
a big textfile a couple of times. However, take care of file locking - read
two different files. Then have a look, whether the two requests are handled
at the same time.

Michael G. Schneider

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Read HTTP headers from InternetExplorer.Application.
    ... I don't want to send a second request to the web server. ... > Dim aURL ...
    (microsoft.public.scripting.wsh)
  • Re: blocking multiple request to same resource
    ... >>patient enough I think clicking the link multiple times makes it do faster. ... request is aborted by the Browser. ... request on the server and thus identify the second request as ... request except for letting the second request succeed, because, as ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: Irp/Urb Completion Routine Is Called Only Once
    ... sequence when sending it's response to a data IN request. ... > On the first request, everything works fine, and the expected data is ... > On the second request, I see the request take place on the USB bus, and I ... > I've tried re-using the original Irp and allocating a new Irp, ...
  • Re: Alter querystring through APP
    ... It means that it has to send an empty POST request to the same ... What do you mean, an _empty_ POST request? ... What do you mean by "second request"? ... The first was initiated by typing URL in Browser address bar. ...
    (microsoft.public.inetsdk.programming.webbrowser_ctl)
  • Re: First request takes a long time
    ... It is doing JIT compilation. ... the second request is processed in a few milliseconds. ... request after closing and opening the client. ...