RE: HTTPS automatic redirection

From: Eric Shen [MSFT] (ericshen_at_online.microsoft.com)
Date: 11/12/03

Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 05:44:02 GMT

Hi Levi,

A very good question!

We can try to use the 403.4 error (Forbidden-SSL required) to redirect the
connection from HTTP to HTTPS. When this Web site is required to use HTTPS
and the user is using HTTP to access, IIS will return this page to the
client. If we add the redirect code into this page, the client will be
automatically redirected to the HTTPS Web site.

Please refer to the following article for more information. They are using
for OWA but applies to a general Web site as well.

268822 XWEB: OWA How to Redirect http://>/exchange Users to Use
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=268822

- This article is using a static page, you can change the link to your SSL
Web site to implement what you would like to do.

279681 How to Force SSL Encryption for an Outlook Web Access 2000 Client
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=279681

- This article is using a dynamic page (ASP) so you can implement more as
you would.

Please let me know if this solves this issue or if you need further
assistance. I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Eric Shen
Product Support Services
Microsoft Corporation

  • RE: HTTPS automatic redirection
    ... but there's no redirection to https. ... Don't want to do a static redirect, ... client will be ... >automatically redirected to the HTTPS Web site. ...
  • Re: Redirect web site on Private LAN
    ... The redirection available in IIS will only tell the client that the page ... IIS does however not care what the client does next to this. ... I want to redirect site on my live ip 202.x.x.x> configured on my live windows 2003 server. ... that server also redirect on> private ip 192.x.x.x of my another web site in LAN. ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis)
  • Re: Redirection
    ... else.So how do I publish a web site that can redirect every request ... http request to go to https. ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis)
  • RE: HTTPS automatic redirection
    ... program in ASP, ... I now have the redirect working, however, I cannot figure ... >different HTTPS requirement setting than the Web site. ... >results of this page to the client. ...
  • Re: How to use Apache 2 with HTTPS only?
    ... So it's generally better to run on port 80 as ... The effect of doing the redirect is that everything is served via https ... Both the server and the client use certificates issued by a local CA, ...
    (Fedora)