RE: IIS 6.0 COM App cant write to event log

From: Robb Murdock (rmurdock_at_luxortech.com)
Date: 10/29/03

Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 19:34:37 -0800

Wei-Dong:

I am not sure what you are suggesting here. The event log
is used for more than just system administrators. If I
write a simple VB test app that uses App.LogEvent, I can
log in as the user that I am assigning to IIS and log an
event entry.

The issue is that IIS, using the same login account can't
write to the event log in IIS 6.0/Win2003 Server Web
Edition.

All of this works fine on IIS 5.0/Win2K.

Am I at a dead end; or is there somewhere else I can look ?

Thanks,

Robb Murdock

to maintain the box so that from your test, only the
administrators account group can write to
>event log. For more information about the right and
privilege for event logging, I'd suggest you can find
detailed event log security informaton from
>the article from Msdn.microsoft.com. Please go to:
>http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-
us/debug/base/event_logging_security.asp?frame=true

>Please feel free to let me know if you have any further
questions.

>Does this answer your question? Thank you for using
Microsoft NewsGroup!

>Wei-Dong Xu
>Microsoft Product Support Services
>Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
confers no rights.

>.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: IIS 6.0 COM App cant write to event log
    ... Have a look at the CustomSD attribute for the Application Event Log. ... Note I have not tried to modify this as yet but it's on my short list of ... > is used for more than just system administrators. ... > The issue is that IIS, using the same login account can't ...
  • Re: Process serving application pool terminated unexpectedly
    ... Running it on w3wp might be more interesting, but this server has ... > IIS Crash/Hang Agent is not the same thing as IIS State. ... > When you are dealing with a crash, ... > These exceptions correlate in number and time with warnings in Event log. ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis)
  • iis 6 exception issue
    ... We have a customer who is experiencing several issues after migrating their ... make sense due to the security changes in iis 6 compared to 5. ... the domain service account, ... No errors are reported in the event log when an 'empty' executable is called ...
  • Re: IIS/SQL Crashing
    ... > Based on event log, there is probably a fatal error in your application ... > user-mode debug of the worker process memory space at the time of the ... >> time it seems that the IIS stop communicating with the SQL server. ... >> Robert Abela ...
  • Re: How to restart OWA
    ... restart it-self). ... No where in the event log ID i see an error for IIS or OWA ... Then I get 1001 IMC is stopping followed by 1004 IMC is ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)