Re: Pro's & Con's...

From: Karl Levinson [x y] mvp (levinson_k_at_despammed.com)
Date: 10/29/03

Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 19:33:12 -0500

"Leythos" <void@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.1a0821559fac48f2989d99@news-server.columbus.rr.com...

> You can purchase a box with Windows 2000 Standard for about $1500 from
> Dell. Think about how much down time and data loss you will have if you
> are compromised because you went the CHEAP way?

Agreed, though there are some organizations [think churches, non-profits,
small home offices, dentists offices, etc.] that may want to share files or
information via HTTP and can't afford $1500. MS Small Business Server is
relatively popular, even though [if I understand correctly] a typical SBS
configuration puts the firewall, email server and domain controller on the
same single server.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: [help] 1 cpu to rule them all
    ... It depends on your definition of cheap... ... the servers hard disks to maintain, ... You also save money on ancillary software costs, ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: [fw-wiz] Spam (or, how to buy Cheap Korean Cellphones :-)
    ... 4> It has to be cheap for the large listservs. ... Fix identity, fix spam. ... So my SMTP server now needs to retrieve keys from DNS, ... Assuming it goes to her ISPs SMTP server. ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: OT HP Netserver Hardware Issue
    ... Heat affects electronics, dirt increases heat, and malfunctioning ... I cleaned out the server using compressed air. ... replace all the ram and any cheap things like nic cards. ... it costs money to take the machine apart; ...
    (comp.unix.sco.misc)
  • Re: Multisite - Multiquestions!
    ... ADSL in the UK = very cheap so I can have that on both sites, ... >> The remote server as a DHCP server, I'm not too sure whether that comes ... >> upgdraded to SDSL in Sept, but I'm not sure whether we'll be in range. ... >> your second server managing DHCP for that range? ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Authentication via RSA Keyfob
    ... Error opening connection to Secure/IP authentication server ... Advantage there is Multinet is a CRYPTO server. ... SecureID infrastructure isn't cheap, ...
    (comp.os.vms)