Re: ** READ THIS BEFORE POSTING - answers to frequently asked questions 2003.10.10

From: Karl Levinson [x y] mvp (levinson_k_at_despammed.com)
Date: 10/11/03

Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 10:39:58 -0400

Actually, not really, since I'm told different news readers sort messages
differently, most notably the Microsoft support web interface. Also, future
posting generally makes people angry, even when it's supposedly for a good
cause. Microsoft is trying to put a mini-security FAQ as the first thing
users see when they enter the newsgroups through their web interface. I do
typically try to post this once a day, unless I have no Usenet access that
day.

"cato" <antispam@zattox.com> wrote in message
> Karl,
> Can you pin here this message in front of any other permanently.
> Thanks
>
> "Karl Levinson [x y] mvp" <levinson_k@despammed.com> wrote in message
> > Before you post a question to a Microsoft.public.*.security newsgroup,
> note
> > that your question may already be answered below:
> >
> > Answers to Top Frequently Asked Questions:
> > http://securityadmin.info
> >
> > My question is not mentioned below. How do I get an answer immediately,
> > with no waiting?
> > http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#moreinfo
> > See also: http://www.google.com/groups?as_ugroup=microsoft.public.*
> > See also: http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search
> > See also: http://www.google.com
> >
> > I want to post a problem or question to the newsgroup. What info do I
> need
> > to post in order to get a correct answer quickly?
> > http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#netiquette
> >

> > I have the RPC Blaster worm "virus," what do I do?
> > http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/blast.asp
> > ALSO NOTE: www.grisoft.com is free antivirus, USE IT.
> >
> > My computer is giving RPC Remote Procedure Call messages.
> > There is a TFTP message or file on my computer.
> > My computer keeps locking up, and/or rebooting, or telling me that it
will
> > reboot in 1 minute.
> > http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/blast.asp
> > ALSO NOTE: www.grisoft.com is free antivirus, USE IT.
> >
> > Where can I download the Blaster worm / RPC DCOM patch?
> > http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com OR
> > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/current.asp
> >
> > I just heard about a new Microsoft security patch update. Where can I
get
> > the patch?
> > http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com OR
> > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/current.asp
> >
> > I just installed a Microsoft security patch update, and now my computer
is
> > having problems.
> > http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#patchbroke
> >
> > I received an email from Microsoft / Microsoft Support / Microsoft
> Internet
> > Security Center claiming to be a security patch [or comprehensive
Internet
> [...]
> > http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#hacked
> >
> > How do I re-secure a computer that has been hacked?
> > http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#re-secure
> >
> > How do I test or improve the security on my computer to avoid being
> hacked?
> > http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#harden
> >
> > How do I investigate a suspicious IP address that may be trying to hack
> me?
> > http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#trace
> >
> > How do I report a hacker?
> > http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#reporthacker
> >
> > How do I use a port scanner or vulnerability scanner to test my
security?
> > http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#portscanner
> >
> > How do I encrypt my files and/or hard drive?
> > http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#encryption
> >
> > How do I get a firewall? IDS?
> > http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#firewall
> >
> > I want to use the IPSec filtering or IP filtering feature of Windows to
> > block certain ports and have a problem or question.
> > http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#ipsec
> >
> > I have a problem or question with the XP ICF firewall.
> > http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#icf
> >
> > I have a problem or question with the IIS URLScan tool.
> > http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#urlscan
> >
> > How do I change the banner on my computer or server to hide what
software
> > version I'm using?
> > http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#banner
> >
> > How do I enable Windows Auditing to tell who logged into Windows or who
> > accessed a file?
> > http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#auditing
> >
> > How do I inspect and disable programs that start up when Windows starts?
> > http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#startup
> >
> > How do I use RUNAS or let someone use RUNAS to run commands as
> administrator
> > without having to type the password?
> > http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#runas
> >
> > How do I let non-administrator users run Defrag or change their IP
> address?
> > http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#runas
> >

> > My question is not mentioned above. How do I get an answer immediately,
> > with no waiting?
> > http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#moreinfo
> > See also: http://www.google.com/groups?as_ugroup=microsoft.public.*
> > See also: http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search
> > See also: http://www.google.com
> >
> > I want to post a problem or question to the newsgroup. What info do I
> need
> > to post in order to get a correct answer quickly?
> > http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#netiquette
> >
> > Note that this is NOT a full list of all the questions answered in the
> FAQ.
> > Chances are, your question has probably already been answered. The
> complete
> > FAQ is at:
> > http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#contents
> >

> > I hope this is helpful. Feedback, suggestions and criticism regarding
the
> > FAQ are welcome and may be emailed to me.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: ** READ THIS BEFORE POSTING - answers to frequently asked questions 2003.10.10
    ... Microsoft is trying to put a mini-security FAQ as the first thing ... users see when they enter the newsgroups through their web interface. ... >> I just heard about a new Microsoft security patch update. ... >> I forgot my Windows logon password and can't log in. ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: ** READ THIS BEFORE POSTING - answers to frequently asked questions 2003.10.10
    ... Microsoft is trying to put a mini-security FAQ as the first thing ... users see when they enter the newsgroups through their web interface. ... >> I just heard about a new Microsoft security patch update. ... >> I forgot my Windows logon password and can't log in. ...
  • Re: ** READ THIS BEFORE POSTING - answers to frequently asked questions 2003.10.10
    ... Microsoft is trying to put a mini-security FAQ as the first thing ... users see when they enter the newsgroups through their web interface. ... >> I just heard about a new Microsoft security patch update. ... >> I forgot my Windows logon password and can't log in. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: ** READ THIS BEFORE POSTING - answers to frequently asked questions 2003.10.10
    ... Microsoft is trying to put a mini-security FAQ as the first thing ... users see when they enter the newsgroups through their web interface. ... >> I just heard about a new Microsoft security patch update. ... >> I forgot my Windows logon password and can't log in. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • SecurityFocus Microsoft Newsletter #176
    ... MICROSOFT VULNERABILITY SUMMARY ... Microsoft Windows XP HCP URI Handler Arbitrary Command Execu... ... PHPNuke Category Parameter SQL Injection Vulnerability ... Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer Vulnerability Identific... ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)