Re: ** READ THIS BEFORE POSTING - answers to frequently asked questions 2003.10.08

From: Lady Layla (Ladylayla1961_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 10/08/03

Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 08:08:53 -0400

Because it did not like your attitude or tone :)

"Perplexed" <per@plexed.com> wrote in message
: "Karl Levinson [x y] mvp" wrote
: > Before you post a question to a
: > Microsoft.public.*.security newsgroup,
: > note that your question may already be
: > answered below:
:
:
: here's my question! why did kb824146 FUBAR my precision win2k sp4
: machine??? can you answer that??? a quick googling tells me that i'm far
: from alone in this matter! why did that patch FUBAR my machine???
: uninstall didn't help! now i have to perform a clean install to get my
: machine back! i sure as hell won't be contacting microcrap support over
: this! so shove those links up your arse!
:
:
: > Answers to Top Frequently Asked Questions:
: > http://securityadmin.info
: >
: > My question is not mentioned below. How do I get an answer immediately,
: > with no waiting?
: > http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#moreinfo
: > See also: http://www.google.com/groups?as_ugroup=microsoft.public.*
: > See also: http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search
: > See also: http://www.google.com
: >
: > I want to post a problem or question to the newsgroup. What info do I
: need
: > to post in order to get a correct answer quickly?
: > http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#netiquette
: >
: >
: > I have the RPC Blaster worm "virus," what do I do?
: > http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/blast.asp
: > ALSO NOTE: www.grisoft.com is free antivirus, USE IT.
: >
: > My computer is giving RPC Remote Procedure Call messages.
: > There is a TFTP message or file on my computer.
: > My computer keeps locking up, and/or rebooting, or telling me that it will
: > reboot in 1 minute.
: > http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/blast.asp
: > ALSO NOTE: www.grisoft.com is free antivirus, USE IT.
: >
: > Where can I download the Blaster worm / RPC DCOM patch?
: > http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com OR
: > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/current.asp
: >
: > I just heard about a new Microsoft security patch update. Where can I get
: > the patch?
: > http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com OR
: > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/current.asp
: >
: > I just installed a Microsoft security patch update, and now my computer is
: > having problems.
: > http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#patchbroke
: >
: > I received an email from Microsoft / Microsoft Support / Microsoft
: Internet
: > Security Center claiming to be a security patch [or comprehensive Internet
: > Explorer update]. Is this a virus?
: > http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#microsoftemail
: > ALSO NOTE: www.grisoft.com is free antivirus, USE IT.
: >
: > I received a virus email from a Microsoft email address. Who do I report
: > this to?
: > http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#microsoftemail
: >
: > I'm having a problem caused by the JDBGMGR.EXE Teddy Bear "virus" hoax, or
: I
: > want to replace this file.
: > http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#jdbgmgr
: >
: > I forgot my Windows logon password and can't log in. How do I reset it?
: > http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#password
: >
: > I have a problem or a question with a virus or with antivirus.
: > http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#virus
: > NOTE: www.grisoft.com is free antivirus, USE IT.
: >
: > Why is Outlook Express blocking my attachments as "unsafe"?
: > http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#attachments
: >
: > How do I stop getting pop-up messages? Or adware? Or spyware?
: > http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#pop-ups
: >
: > How do I block people from viewing adult or objectionable content on a
: > computer?
: > http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#contentfilter
: >
: > How do I block spam emails?
: > http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#spam
: >
: > There is a Content Advisor password blocking me from certain web sites.
: > http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#contentadvisor
: >
: > How do I delete an FTP folder that a hacker put on my computer and I
: cannot
: > delete?
: > http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#ftpfolder
: >
: > Have I been hacked? What do I do if I've been hacked?
: > http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#hacked
: >
: > How do I re-secure a computer that has been hacked?
: > http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#re-secure
: >
: > How do I test or improve the security on my computer to avoid being
: hacked?
: > http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#harden
: >
: > How do I investigate a suspicious IP address that may be trying to hack
: me?
: > http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#trace
: >
: > How do I report a hacker?
: > http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#reporthacker
: >
: > How do I use a port scanner or vulnerability scanner to test my security?
: > http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#portscanner
: >
: > How do I encrypt my files and/or hard drive?
: > http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#encryption
: >
: > How do I get a firewall? IDS?
: > http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#firewall
: >
: > I want to use the IPSec filtering or IP filtering feature of Windows to
: > block certain ports and have a problem or question.
: > http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#ipsec
: >
: > I have a problem or question with the XP ICF firewall.
: > http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#icf
: >
: > I have a problem or question with the IIS URLScan tool.
: > http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#urlscan
: >
: > How do I change the banner on my computer or server to hide what software
: > version I'm using?
: > http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#banner
: >
: > How do I enable Windows Auditing to tell who logged into Windows or who
: > accessed a file?
: > http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#auditing
: >
: > How do I inspect and disable programs that start up when Windows starts?
: > http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#startup
: >
: > How do I use RUNAS or let someone use RUNAS to run commands as
: administrator
: > without having to type the password?
: > http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#runas
: >
: > How do I let non-administrator users run Defrag or change their IP
: address?
: > http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#runas
: >
: >
: > My question is not mentioned above. How do I get an answer immediately,
: > with no waiting?
: > http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#moreinfo
: > See also: http://www.google.com/groups?as_ugroup=microsoft.public.*
: > See also: http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search
: > See also: http://www.google.com
: >
: > I want to post a problem or question to the newsgroup. What info do I
: need
: > to post in order to get a correct answer quickly?
: > http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#netiquette
: >
: > Note that this is NOT a full list of all the questions answered in the
: FAQ.
: > Chances are, your question has probably already been answered. The
: complete
: > FAQ is at:
: > http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#contents
: >
: >
: > I hope this is helpful. Feedback, suggestions and criticism regarding the
: > FAQ are welcome and may be emailed to me.
: >
: > kind regards,
: > Karl Levinson, CISSP, MCSE, MVP
: > email: levinson_k@despammed.com