Re: HTTP 401.2 - Unauthorized Accessing from Localhost ONLY

From: Ken Schaefer (kenREMOVE_at_THISadOpenStatic.com)
Date: 10/06/03

Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 12:37:13 +1000

I suspect that IE on your local computer thinks that your local machine is
in the "intranet" zone (or something), and is attempting to automatically
log you on. You could try disabling that in the IE Advanced settings.

Otherwise, enabling logon/logoff failure auditing on the WIndowsXP box, and
see what gets logged to the Event Log.

Cheers
Ken

"Slezak" <bkslezak@hotmail.com> wrote in message
: Setting the stage:
: Windows XP Professional
: IIS Installed
: VS.NET Installed
: All the latest Critical Updates Installed
:
: Ok, I'm logged on to my computer with administrative access, but when
: I access any part of the web site set to Windows Integrated
: Authentication only, meaning I remove access to anonymous users, I get
: the error:
: HTTP 401.2 - Unauthorized: Logon failed due to server configuration
: Internet Information Services.
:
: But if I go to a remote computer and access the web page across the
: network, I am prompted for authentication and can successfully view
: the page inputting the right credentials. ??? WTF?
:
: How is it that IIS can't authenticate me as a locally logged on user,
: but it will for someone coming in across the network? This baffles me
: completely. (Subsequently, I cannot access any IIS online
: documentation because the pages require anonymous access to be turned
: off, yet I cannot access it through Windows Integrated
: Authentication.) ???
:
: All help GREATLY appreciated,
: Slezak

Relevant Pages

  • IIS 5.0 / IE authentication problem
    ... We are having problem with IIS 5.0 integrated authentication via IE 5.5+ ... For a few users on our network, ... The workstation and domain controller are on ...
  • Re: HTTP 401.2 - Unauthorized Accessing from Localhost ONLY
    ... >: IIS Installed ... Authentication only, meaning I remove access to anonymous users, I get ... network, I am prompted for authentication and can successfully view ...
  • Re: Error Logging into Web Page from offsite
    ... V6.0 installed and are running a webpage. ... Since it works from the server but not from outside the network, ... problem is not likely to be within IIS. ... authentication from working properly. ...
  • Re: HELP PLEASE The request failed with HTTP status 401: Access Denied.
    ... Web Security: Part 2: Introducing the Web Application Manager, Client ... Authentication Options, and Process Isolation ... It introduces the Web Application Manager in IIS that ... logon session, which is dangerous. ...
  • RE: Can no longer access ActiveSync
    ... OMA and Exchange/Exchange-OMA virtual directory. ... Please verify Authentication settings by the following steps. ... Open IIS Manager ... issue may be caused by the Exchange attribute of original user account. ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)