Re: Anti-virus software on Win2K Web server

From: Ken Schaefer (kenREMOVE_at_THISadOpenStatic.com)
Date: 09/26/03

Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 11:19:56 +1000

Personally I think it's worth it.

Make sure you use a Corporate/Enterprise type produce (NAV Corporate Edition
is fine - we use it here), not a "desktop" type product.

You can fine tune performance by excluding certain directories from the
scanning process (sounds like you want to definately include the directory
where the users are uploading their content).

However, AV isn't a be all and end all solution. It needs to be incorporated
into an entire security process.

Cheers
Ken

"Steve" <sbohler@deletethis.stny.rr.com> wrote in message
: Hello,
:
: I just noticed that our dedicated server doesn't have any anti-virus
: software running on it.
:
: Before I run out and get Norton's Anti-Virus Corporate Edition, is it a
good
: idea to put anti-virus software on a web server (we do some uploading of
: .doc and .xls files for our user base to download)?
:
: Will anti-virus software (since I imagine it checks every file accessed)
: slow down the performance of a web server?
:
: Thanks in advance (and sorry if these are pretty basic questions).
:
: Steve
:
: