Re: IIS 5.0 password protected website problem

From: Tom Kaminski [MVP] ((A_at_T))
Date: 09/04/03

Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 09:12:16 -0400

"Tom Kaminski [MVP]" <tomk (A@T) mvps (D.O.T) org> wrote in message
news:bj7d9l$1gv6@kcweb01.netnews.att.com...
> "Steve Holland" <holland_s@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> >
> > We are experiencing a strange problem with all websites we password
> protect.
> > We have a win2k/IIS5 server which we host test versions of websites we
> > develop. All of the sites are password protected, using folder security.
> We
> > removed IUSR account and added a locally created user, in IIS, on the
> > 'Directory Security' tab of properties, we click 'anonymous access and
> > authentication control', in here 'Anonymous Access' and 'Basic
> > Authentication' are the only two options checked (not all of our users
use
> > IE). This all works fine, users browses to page, asked to login, enter
> > correct details, in they go. The problem which we have is that the
website
> > is written in ASP and uses a global.asa to provide some Application
Level
> > variables, namely the database connection string. What seems to happen
is
> > that intermittently these variables seem to disappear from memory, thus
> > breaking the site (can't connect to db). This problem only occurs on
> > websites which are password protected. The exact same website located on
> > development server or on the live server never suffers from this
problem.
> We
> > have tried password-protecting websites on other servers and the same
> > problem occurs so its not a problem with the machine itself.
> >
> > I've never seen this problem before (it didn't seem to happen on
WinNT4).
> > It's either a problem with the way we are setting up the password
> > protecting, or its a MS bug, either way its causing us a lot of problems
> and
> > we'd like to fix it one way or another. If any out there has seen this
> > before and knows a fix, or a better way of password-protecting sites I'd
> be
> > very happy to hear from you.
>
> You're not crazy - I've seen the same exact thing happen and have never
> received an explanation from MS. It was happening quite a bit about 8
> months ago and I got it to stop but I can't remember what I did to fix it.
> Coincidentally, it just happened on a different web the other day. I
opened
> global.asa and made a minor insignificant change (added a space char
> somewhere) and it's been working the rest of the week.

After reviewing my notes - are you using the local IWAM account or have you
switched to a domain account?

Is this kind of what you're seeing?
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;173742

--
Tom Kaminski IIS MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

  • Re: IIS 5.0 password protected website problem
    ... protect. ... > We have a win2k/IIS5 server which we host test versions of websites we ... > development server or on the live server never suffers from this problem. ... > we'd like to fix it one way or another. ...
  • Re: Graphics generation and website protection.
    ... I have noticed that a number of websites, ... allow readers to comment on articles, protect themselves from ... automated responders by generating a graphic image of random numbers ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols)
  • Re: Graphics generation and website protection.
    ... I have noticed that a number of websites, ... allow readers to comment on articles, protect themselves from ... automated responders by generating a graphic image of random numbers ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols)
  • Re: How to securely store a password on a PC
    ... password - so locking the data to ONE account will not solve that problem. ... Full disk encryption can protect against EXTERNAL attackers (who ... full encryption - not only Vista's BitLocker but any 3rd party solution. ... Security is not about the secrecy of the algorithm. ...
    (microsoft.public.platformsdk.security)