IIS 5.0 SSL

From: Matt Nielsen (mnielsen_at_caelix.com)
Date: 08/23/03

Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 12:33:31 -0700

I have a Windows 2000 with sp4 and the latest critical updates. I have
multiple ip addresses on this server. The problem I am having is that the
server will not allow me to connect using https. I have read all the
associated articles that I can find on MS KB and none of them seem to
resolve the problem. Here is what I have tried:

I have placed the certificate on the default website X.X.X.72 ipaddress and
placed the 443 in the ssl port field.

I have other servers on .73...etc addresses. on this multi-homed machine.

I have disabled the connection pooling so that when I do a netstat-an I get:

I've left out the other columns to just give the listening addresses and
ports.

X.X.X.72:80
X.X.X.72:443
X.X.X.73:80
X.X.X.74:80

I can succesfully telnet to X.X.X.72 port 443 and so I know that the server
is listening and accepting connections so I'm certain that this is not a
firewall issue.

I can go to the Directory Security tab on the site and click view
certificate and I get a valid certificate.

I have also verified that no other sites have the same certificate or are
listening on port 443.

This is a clean install of windows 2000 so I know this is not an issue from
moving from nt 4.0 and iis 3. I also verified that the sspifilt ISAPI
filter is loading and is on high priority.

This problem is driving me crazy and I don't know how to solve it. The
normal non SSL we behavior seems to be normal and is working fine I just
need to get SSL working.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Matt Nielsen