Re: Pop-up ads thru Messenger

From: Jonathan Maltz [MS-MVP] (
Date: 07/01/03

Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 21:55:44 -0400

You need a firewall. Check out and to look
for some security! Messenger spam in itself isn't harmful, but it's a sign
that your computer is open to possibly bad activity. Consider messenger
spam a forewarning

--Jonathan Maltz [Microsoft MVP - Windows Server] - A Windows Server 2003 visual, step-by-step
tutorial site :-)
Replies by Email will not be read and will be deleted on the spot.  Unless I
ask you to Email me, please do not.  Reply by newsgroup only, please.
"Cal" <> wrote in message
> I have Windows XP home and get my email using high speed
> cable and Outlook 6.  I am getting well over 100 ads a
> day via Messenger.  Can I just disable Messenger to stop
> this problem?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: I think I found how to kill messenger without a firewall
    ... and are thankful for having a smoke alarm to have warned you about it. ... If one is receiving messenger spam, ... > Windows messenger spam is annoying, ...
  • Re: Stop-Sign Threat Scanner
    ... Does the window title say anything about Messenger? ... 'Messenger spam', is not in itself harmful, but is symptomatic of ... For a standalone machine, see for a free personal firewall, ...
  • Re: Messenger Spam at start up
    ... The messenger spam has been going on for at least a year now, ... > 1) Does the title bar of these pop-ups read "Messenger Service?" ...
  • Re: Messenger service pop-ups
    ... 'Messenger spam', is not in itself harmful, but is ... You can disable the Messenger service, but that is unwise as a solution as ... For a standalone machine, see for a free personal firewall, ... you can enable the built-in internet connection ...
  • Re: Messenger Service
    ... My friend, if you're getting popup messenger spam, you have larger problems. ... You need a firewall. ... protection from the Internet. ...