Re: rd.yahoo.com & the ads.x10.com ads

From: GAS (megaprogrammer_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 06/29/03

Date: 29 Jun 2003 05:40:26 -0700

Pat,

I was having this same problem after I installed AdsGone ad blocking
software. The way the software works is it redirects web requests to
the addresses listed in the HOSTS file on your computer. If you open
the HOSTS file you will see the address of the blocked site preceded
by a 127.0.0.1. 127.0.0.1 is your PC. What this HOSTS entry is
saying is when a request is made for a given site just reroute that
request to my PC. In other words, don't bug me. Apparently
ads.x10.com got wise to the ads blocking scheme and wrote their popup
so that it wants a user id and password. So when you reroute the
request to you own PC, the ad says "OK smart guy, since you want to go
to your PC, what's the user id and password".

What I did to get around this is to create a new user that only has
access to a single empty directory. I named my user "Limited" and the
new directory "c:\Popup". The Popup user was a member of the
"Everyone" group by default. I removed the "Everyone" access and gave
it the "Limited" access. It might seem easier just to feed the prompt
your currect User Id/Password, but it's possible that a disreputable
company or a hacker could use this type of prompting scheme to get
into you computer in the future. So it's really much more safe to
create a new limted access account.

The next time you hit the ads.x10.com User ID/Password prompt, just
key in the new user ID you created earlier and the password you gave
that user. Then click the checkbox to save the password in the future
and hit OK. Bye, bye prompt!

Hope this works for you.

GAS

"Pat Burney" <pburney@cox.net> wrote in message news:<024001c327bd$620bf980$a101280a@phx.gbl>...
> How do I stop the error message for I do not have
> permission to access the web site re.yahoo.com
>
> and
>
> How do I stop the pop up ads.x10.com wanting my password
> when reading continuing articles on yahoo news?
>
> Thanks for your help

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Client certificate private key prompt
    ... this when they need to make sure that no request every goes as anonymous. ... Upgrading the client to W2K3 will not solve the two prompt issue. ... the private key. ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.framework)
  • Re: threading
    ... affecting other threads, whereas if one uses the async approach, a request ... or is it some arbitrary timeout - if a handler returns within ... that time it is non-blocking, but if it exceeds it it is blocking? ... I cannot guarantee it if the database server is under stress. ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Java Soft-Real-Time Processor
    ... request will take no more than what the process specifies. ... programmer defines a timeout ... how can the Processor interrupt execution ... Process Stages are divided in two categories: blocking and non- ...
    (comp.realtime)
  • RE: Duplicate Logs
    ... IE (and other web proxy klients) ALWAYS makes an anonymous request and is ... If you have rules that allow "All Users" to make the request ISA ... will not prompt the klient for credentials and you will not see usernames in ...
    (microsoft.public.isaserver)
  • Re: Can this be done in D3/NT?
    ... If they're not at the right prompt, ... IF REQUEST # "" AND AVAILABLE THEN ... you might consider using a LOCK statement which "may" not have ... Phone handler set a lock for this sales rep ...
    (comp.databases.pick)