Re: Open Port 80?

From: CZ (CZ_at_no99spam.com)
Date: 06/16/03

Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 21:22:56 -0700

D:

>> I am using a Microsoft MN-500 wireless router and the whole network is
wireless. The Microsoft MN-500 has a built in firewall but I see no way to
configure much of anything except Port Forwarding, Mac Address filtering and
Client Filtering. I thought that in order for outside access I had to
forward port 80

You do; to get through the NAT in the router, it would have to be port
forwarded.
Verify the router is not doing port forwarding.

>> I have used the IIS lockdown tool and URL scan but it seems that when I
do that I lose the counter that I installed using FrontPage 2000

You have to edit urlscan.ini to have the hit counter work.
Check your log file
This may be the line from my log file: "Request will be rejected. Site
Instance='1', Raw URL='/_vti_bin/fpcount.exe/'"
If so, you need to allow .exe file extensions within the urlscan.ini file.
Reboot server after you make the change.

see
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318290

Relevant Pages

  • Re: DNS routing question
    ... but a connection from the outside coming to 11.22.33.44:80 you want directed to 192.168.1.41:80 Is this what you want? ... I'm already using port forwarding (and filtering) in the modems built in NAT server to route http/ftp/ssh/mail/https to the .40 box. ... This has nothing to do with dns. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Comparison of Linksys BEFSR41 to Sonicwall
    ... content filtering -- at least the BEFSX41 does, ... ports if port forwarding is off, you are set up to block WAN requests, ... reliability issue. ... you're probably better off with the Linksys if money is ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)