Enabling both HTTP traffic and HTTPS traffic

From: Michael Oder (mike.oder_at_mworld.com)
Date: 06/13/03

Date: 12 Jun 2003 16:30:58 -0700

We're attempting to move a site from IIS5 on Win2k to IIS6 on W2k3.
The site works perfectly on port 80, but we haven't been able to get
SSL to work. We've installed the 128-bit certificate we were using on
the IIS5 box without encountering errors and port 443 is set as the
SSL port also showing on the Mutliple Identities dialog.

Step 6 of the instructions under "Configuring SSL on Servers:To set up
SSL on your Web server" indicates that one must, "In the Secure
Communications box, select the Require secure channel (SSL) check
box." Once this is done, port 80 is not allowed as per the option
would indicate, but HTTPS still does not work.

Is there some step beyond what is indicated in the instructions that
must be done to implement SSL, or is it not possible to move a
certificate from IIS5 to IIS6?

Our current configuration under IIS5 allows the server to be accessed
equally well via HTTP or HTTPS which is something we need to maintain
the ability to offer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: RWW with no https
    ... I do not consider a:8080 a url that is appropriate for a SSL end user connection. ... So just so we are all clear, RWW HAS to go over HTTPS. ... Even if I do https but port 8080 would not matter ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: IE https certificate attack
    ... How non-interactive ssl clients in EAI and web services software handle ... Subject: IE https certificate attack ...
    (Vuln-Dev)
  • Re: questions Digest, Vol 79, Issue 36
    ... I hadn't considered using a random https query header's timestamp... ... For the SSL certificate store, I still have to look into it, but I think I ... Using a continuous integration server ...
    (comp.protocols.time.ntp)
  • Re: Switching from http to https
    ... the default website with SSL not enabled (using port 443) in the IIS. ... a certificate to the program. ...
  • Lost in a sea of information (SSL Configuration)
    ... to configure SSL on my Exchange Server in order for users to access OWA ... using https, but apparently I'm not doing something right. ... I installed the Certificate Services on the server and completed the fields ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange2000.admin)