RE: WebDAV Protocol

From: Lisa Cozzens [MSFT] (lcozzens_at_online.microsoft.com)
Date: 06/13/03

Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 22:34:08 GMT

> I'm running the IIS lockdown wizard, and one of the things it wan'ts to
> disable is WebDAV. If I'm using Visual Studio.NET or even VS 6.0 for
> authoring on a web server, does this disable it or does Visual Studio use
> some other means of access? In reading about WebDAV, it looks like it's
> used for something entirely different than this, but I just want to be
sure.

> Can anyone shed some light on this?

VS.NET can use WebDAV or FrontPage Server Extensions (FPSE). So if you have
FPSE installed, you can disable WebDAV without a problem. I think it tries
to use WebDAV by default, but it will prompt you to use FPSE if WebDAV is
disabled.

VS6 uses FPSE exclusively, so disabling WebDAV won't affect it at all.

Hope this helps,
Lisa

-----
Please do not send email directly to this alias. This is an online
account name for newsgroup participation only.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
no rights. You assume all risk for your use.

2003 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: HOW TO IIS -Security
    ... After Disabling this it works better, ... IIS security just past it across. ... c)Do you have WebDAV enabled in the Web Service Extensions list? ...
  • Re: using explorer.exe => svchost.exe establishes a webdav connection on a server
    ... related with web shares (WebDAV) ... The problem has disapeared after disabling it. ... Prev by Date: ...
  • Re: Java file explorer
    ... If I understand your requirements correctly, clients must be able create, read, update and delete files on the web server. ... Apache's web server can serve as a WebDAV server, but Tomcat can do this too. ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: another POP client-can U help
    ... > OLE Has HTTP service built in to work with hotmail accounts. ... Products that support Hotmail accounts, ... their IIS web server supports WebDAV ...
  • Re: disable webdav in sharepoint
    ... the explorer to map a network-drive - and this goes over WebDAV (or am I ... WebDAV code can be invoked on a Web server based on ... This feature was implemented in UrlScan ... > invoke WebDAV. ...