Re: Hacker Marketing - Access Denied when I try to delete...

From: Jonathan (jm4498_at_msn.com)
Date: 05/31/03

Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 13:56:00 -0400

This is not the right group for that. This is for IIS (Internet Information
Services) security only. IIS is a web SERVER.

Try rebooting into safe mode and deleting it

--
--Jonathan
http://www.imbored.biz - A Windows Server 2003 visual, step-by-step
"Chris" <chrisw@insight.rr.com> wrote in message
A 'marketing" company by the name of 180 Solutions
(www.180solutions.com) has somehow...and
illegally...parked an .exe (msbb.exe) file in my Windows
XP Program Files folder. The net of this program is that
I get assaulted with Pop Ups, Scratch & Win Cards and
various other requests for "Do you want to run & install
x software?"
However, when I try to delete the file, I get an "access
denied" message - even when I try to delete from the DOS
command prompt. Microsoft has acknowledged this as a
problem in the Knowledge Base but, yet no known solution.
I can't let this company WIN can I? If so - any tips on
HOW TO DELETE this file and better - how can I/we protect
ourselves from this intrusive marketing??
Chris
"Access Denied" Error Message When You Try to Delete a
File
Microsoft Windows Advanced Server, Limited Edition
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
SYMPTOMS
When you attempt to delete a file, you may receive the
following error message:
Cannot delete filename: Access is denied.
Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and
that the file is not currently in use.
However, the disk is neither full nor write-protected and
the file is not in use by anyone else.
CAUSE
This behavior can occur if you do not have the
permissions necessary to delete the file under the NTFS
file system.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this behavior, ask the administrator to grant
the necessary permissions.
STATUS
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the
Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of
this article.
Last Reviewed: 8/6/2002
  Send      Print      Help
 Last reviewed Tuesday, August 06, 2002
 2003 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.  Terms
of use  Security & Privacy  Accessibility

Relevant Pages

  • SecurityFocus Microsoft Newsletter #102
    ... MICROSOFT VULNERABILITY SUMMARY ... Microsoft Windows Media Player File Attachment Script Execution... ... Microsoft TSAC ActiveX Control Buffer Overflow Vulnerability ... Abyss Web Server Malicious HTTP Request Information Disclosure... ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • RE: SBS Web Remote Webworkplace Login
    ... What's the detail error message when you input credential and the page ... On the Web Server Certificate page shows. ... Collect IIS Log: ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Tooltip, .ShowDialog(), and .Dispose() on .NET 2.0 generate a NullReferenceException
    ... You may receive an error message when you try to close a Microsoft Windows ... Object reference not set to an instance of ...
  • Re: Tooltip, .ShowDialog(), and .Dispose() on .NET 2.0 generate a NullReferenceException
    ... You may receive an error message when you try to close a Microsoft Windows ... Object reference not set to an instance of an ...
  • Re: Exchange not creating users
    ... Base research on your error message, I suggest we try the following steps: ... Please install latest updates and service packs on your Exchange ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ... This newsgroup only focuses on SBS technical issues. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)