Re: IIS + AWSTATS

From: Alessandro Perilli (peris_at_tiscali.it)
Date: 05/20/03

    Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 17:15:40 +0200

    On 20 May 2003 08:05:08 -0700, fredduc wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >

    > I am using IIS 5.0. I installed ActivePerl and AWStats without
    > problems.
    > Perl is working (I tried the sample from Microsoft Q245225).
    >
    > MY PROBLEM:
    >
    > If I browse to www.mysite.com/cgi-bin/awstats.pl, every number is a
    > ZERO...
    > If I want to refresh my data, this is the error:
    >
    > Error: Couldn't open server log file "C:\WINNT\System32\LogFiles" :
    > Permission denied
    >
    > Setup ('D:\Website\cgi-bin\awstats.conf' file, web server or
    > permissions) may be wrong.
    > See AWStats documentation in 'docs' directory for informations on how
    > to setup awstats.
    > -----------
    >
    > I also have this problem (of course) if I try to update my data from
    > the command line...
    >
    > So this means something with permissions...
    >
    > These are my users:
    >
    > Administrator (default)
    > FTPUser
    > Guest (disabled)
    > IUSR_MYPC
    > IWAM_MYPC
    > Ts_InternetUser (Terminal Services)
    >

    > Can anyone tell me which user(s?) has/have what permissions on these 2
    > directories (from the error message)?
    >
    > I think this is the only problem I have... I used the install docs
    > from ActivePerl and AWStats, but can't find it!
    >

    > Thank you in advance,
    >
    > Fred.

    Fred,
    this seems solvable with AWStats FAQ-SET300:

    PROBLEM: I have the following error:
    "Couldn't open file /workingpath/awstatsmmyyyy.tmp.9999: Permission
    denied."
    SOLUTION: This error means that the web server didn't succeed in writing
    the working temporary file (file ended by .tmp.9999 where 9999 is a number)
    because of permissions problems.
    First check that the directory /workingpath has write permission for
    user nobody (default used user by apache on linux systems)
    or user IUSR_SERVERNAME (default used user by IIS on NT).
    With Unix, try with a path with no links.
    With NT, you must check NTFS permissions if your directory is on a NTFS
    partition.
    With IIS, there is also a write permission attribute, defined in directory
    properties in your IIS setup, that you must check.
    With IIS, if a default cgi-bin directory was created during IIS install,
    try to put AWStats directly this directory.
    If this still doesn't work, you can change the DirData parameter to say
    AWStats that you want to use another directory (A directory you are sure
    that the default user, used by web server process, can write into).

    You can find more FAQs here:
    http://www.gnacademy.org/src/cgi-bin/awstats-4.0/docs/awstats_faq.html

    --
    Alessandro Perilli
    Security Consultant / Trainer

    • Re: WinXP - Private SSL certificate cannot install?
      ... the only thing I can think of now is that your XP Pro ... or clean install ?? ... only face this error when you try deploy SSL into IIS. ... > I still took the opportunity to doublecheck permissions> (they look OK except that XP did not permit "everyone"> only Power Users modify privileges. ...
    • RE: no OWA
      ... have the correct permissions was the "inetpub" folder. ... Correct the settings in IIS: ... click to check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: Minimum NTFS Permissions - Theres such a thing???
      ... ?2001 Microsoft Corporation. ... HOW TO: Set Minimum NTFS Permissions Required for IIS 5.0 to Work WGID:198 ... " List Folder Contents" ...
    • Re: FTP control
      ... > I would like to use NTFS security settings to control who ... I would suggest getting a third party FTP server, ... if you set quota and these permissions for that group you can ... Information Server (IIS) Web site, ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
    • Re: Minimum NTFS Permissions - Theres such a thing???
      ... ?2001 Microsoft Corporation. ... > permissions that you must have to run Internet Information Services ... > third-party applications in an IIS 5.0 environment. ... Open the properties for the %systemroot%\Winnt folder, ...