Re: Cloned Windows 2000 IIS

From: Jeff Cochran (jcochran.nospam_at_naplesgov.com)
Date: 05/05/03

Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 17:32:10 GMT

On Fri, 2 May 2003 13:22:32 -0700, "NightRaven"
<nightraven04@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I've installed IIS on a Win2k workstation that i used to
>clone a lab of 20 computers.
>
>Everything works fine! The students can code HTML, ASP,
>XML, etc... and test their apps using IE 6 and the
>127.0.0.1 address.
>
>Now, the problem is that everyone can access the wwwroot
>folder of any of the computers in the lab using IE6 and
>typing the target computer name. It's a good way to cheat.
>
>Is there a way to secure IIS so that it can only access
>his own local host?
>
>Thanks! And yes i'm new in the world of IIS. :)

That's the way the system is supposed to work. It would be rather
inefficient to have a web server that couldn't be accessed from
anywhere else. :)

You can use Authentication or restrict the access by IP, Try
iisfaq.com for good references on both.

Jeff

Relevant Pages

  • members of "user" group cannot access internet
    ... Problem with "user" account: unable to access any internet site; ... Computer lab; 10 PCs with identical hardware & software. ... None of the other 9 computers in the lab have this problem. ... Files can be accessed across the network, but I cannot access the internet ...
  • members of "user" group cannot access internet
    ... Problem with "user" account: unable to access any internet site; ... Computer lab; 10 PCs with identical hardware & software. ... None of the other 9 computers in the lab have this problem. ... Files can be accessed across the network, but I cannot access the internet ...
  • Re: advice on setting up lab
    ... A lab with at least three computers is great in my opinion. ... internet name resolution requests to your ISP dns server. ... 802.1X authentication if the WAP and wireless adapters are capable however I ...
    (microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse)
  • Re: Any creative ideas?
    ... We have a lab with 300++ computers and we need a way to locate a specific ... I was able to run a program on a remote machine that beeped. ... Microsoft MVP Scripting and ADSI ...
    (microsoft.public.win32.programmer.wmi)
  • Re: How to restrict some users to log in?
    ... the user right to Log on locally, or, the membership of the Users group, ... a minor reorganization so that there is an OU for computers of each lab, ... user-groups for different Labs -- for security issues, e.g. file sharing, ... belongs to that OU (not neccessary in the same Lab). ...
    (microsoft.public.security)