Re: Cloned Windows 2000 IIS

From: Jeff Cochran (jcochran.nospam_at_naplesgov.com)
Date: 05/05/03

Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 17:32:10 GMT

On Fri, 2 May 2003 13:22:32 -0700, "NightRaven"
<nightraven04@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I've installed IIS on a Win2k workstation that i used to
>clone a lab of 20 computers.
>
>Everything works fine! The students can code HTML, ASP,
>XML, etc... and test their apps using IE 6 and the
>127.0.0.1 address.
>
>Now, the problem is that everyone can access the wwwroot
>folder of any of the computers in the lab using IE6 and
>typing the target computer name. It's a good way to cheat.
>
>Is there a way to secure IIS so that it can only access
>his own local host?
>
>Thanks! And yes i'm new in the world of IIS. :)

That's the way the system is supposed to work. It would be rather
inefficient to have a web server that couldn't be accessed from
anywhere else. :)

You can use Authentication or restrict the access by IP, Try
iisfaq.com for good references on both.

Jeff