Re: FTP Password Exposed

From: Karl Levinson [x y] mvp (levinson_k_at_despammed.com)
Date: 04/30/03

Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 15:35:03 -0400

Well, regular FTP isn't a secure protocol. Your password is passed in clear
text across the network or internet, so that someone with a sniffer on your
network or between the client and server could capture it.

SSH is one free alternative, there are links for Windows SSH software at
www.openssh.org and www.networksimplicity.com Any secure file copy solution
usually requires you to install new software on both the client and server.

RE: IE, how are you clicking on the file? Where is it? Is this a URL link
on a web page?

"Wes" <rogerspc@onemain.com> wrote in message
> When clicking on a file to open it from my FTP site I see
> my password exposed in the title bar of internet explorer.
> Why is and how can it be repaired?
>
> Thanks.

Relevant Pages

  • drone armies C&C report - July/2005
    ... 3356 LEVEL3 Level 3 Communications ... 3491 BTN-ASN - Beyond The Network A ... 3801 MISNET - Mikrotec Internet Ser ... 15857 DIALOG-AS DIALOG-NET Autonomuo ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • Masquerading problem... can you help?
    ... server to masquerade a simple network and allow access to ... My server uses a modem to dial the internet. ... `SuSE-FW-DROP-DEFAULT' ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: U.S. as Traffic Cop in Web Fight
    ... Internet providers to treat all Web traffic equally, ... Digits: What Is Net Neutrality? ... AT&T cited network congestion concerns. ... Phone companies including AT&T have argued that they can live with the FCC's ...
    (talk.politics.guns)
  • Re: Verizon rules the World? Or just the U.S.?
    ... Internet these days? ... network can now branch anywhere, and network data transfer is a piece ... Nearly all computer science departments and many private computer ... all these networks have gateways to the NSF backbone.) ...
    (rec.arts.mystery)