IIS fails with error "The IIS Admin Service service terminated unexpectedly"

From: Alexander Oleshev (aoleshev_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 04/30/03

Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 13:02:08 +0100

Hello guys,

We have Windows 2000 server with standard IIS 5 with all fixes applied.
Sometimes (and it started to happen 2-3 weeks ago) IIS fails with error "IIS
Admin service terminated unexpectedly", www and smtp services fail as well.
If we try to restart them then a number of error messages appear in log like
"The service could not bind instance xx. The data is the error code.".

Service cannot be restarted. But once server is rebooted - it works fine for
awhile....

Any ideas ?

Thanks
Alexander

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Internal Server Error (500) - The data is invalid (IIS/6)
    ... the most simple HTML probably generated by the web server ... HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error ... This includes IIS restart or server restart. ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis)
  • Re: How to set content-type header for ASP/HTML pages only ?
    ... MIME Type can be set on a per-URL basis all the way to global. ... Global MIME Type changes require IIS Web Server restart (about a 5-10 second ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis)
  • Re: Error 401.1 (iis 6.0)
    ... Getting 401.1 indicates that the username/password provided to IIS was ... IIS6 should never need to restart -- just recycling the Application Pool ... I would look at the hang ... Try using IIS State when the server appears hanging and post the log here. ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis)
  • Re: IIS Stopped Occasionally
    ... I'm suspecting you're describing that IIS stopped, and you can't restart IIS ... machine (i.e. "restart the server"). ... clue to you that something is still hanging onto a port 80 that IIS wants to ...
  • Re: Internal Server Error (500) - The data is invalid (IIS/6)
    ... The server nor hangs nor crashes. ... any application running on top of IIS (and the one that does works ... >> Restart, well restarting helps nothing. ... Is it html, ASP, CF? ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis)