IIS Directory Security Settings

From: Ravi (repaka_99@yahoo.com)
Date: 04/02/03

From: "Ravi" <repaka_99@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 00:51:53 -0800

Hi,
   My application is using Active Directory,ASP,VB6.0,SQL
server etc.I set the settings at IIS for Default Web Site
properties under "Directory Security" > "Anonymous access
and authentication control" > "Edit" as below.
1.unchecked for "Anonymous access" (no user name/password
required to access this resource)
2.Checked for "Basic Authentication" (password is sent in
a clear text)
3.checked for "Integrated Windows Authentication".

After i set properties as like above, when i access any
applications,it is prompting for user id and password for
first time.From next time on wards it is not prompting
for userid and password.But my requirement is whenever i
access that application from any OS and any IE version,it
should ask userid and password.

I did not set anything at any client machines.

Below i am explaining possible scenarios.

1.If i am testing same application at Win XP Prof.Edition
and IE 6.0,always it is prompting for user id and
password. Nothing wrong here.
2.If i am testing same application at other Win XP
Prof.Edition and IE 6.0, only first time it is
prompting,from next time onwards it is straight away
going inside application without prompting.
3.If i am testing at Win 98 and IE5.0, i am getting same
problem like above point no.2
4.If i am testing at Win 95 and IE 5.0 or 6.0, i am
getting result like point no.1.

I am not able to trace the real problem, some PCs asking
UserIds and passwords, some are not asking.

Can any one please guide me how to solve this problem?is
i need to set any settings at Client side also(i don't
think so,this is not advisable too)

Feel free to ask any further details.Waiting for your
prompt reply.

Prior thanks.
Regards
Ravi

Relevant Pages

  • IIS NT Auth - How to get Domain users automatically authenticated
    ... virtual directory that I turn off anonymous access for. ... authentication. ... domain as per my machine login, and let me access to the site without ... prompting for credentials? ...
  • Re: IIS Directory Security Settings
    ... > and authentication control"> "Edit" as below. ... > After i set properties as like above, when i access any> applications,it is prompting for user id and password for> first time.From next time on wards it is not prompting> for userid and password.But my requirement is whenever i> access that application from any OS and any IE version,it> should ask userid and password. ... > Can any one please guide me how to solve this problem?is> i need to set any settings at Client side also> ...
  • Re: Anonymous access
    ... > authentication'. ... Turn that off and retry. ... >> wanted to enable anonymous access to the site. ... What other settings have to be made ...
  • [NEWS] Multiple Vulnerabilities with Pingtel xpressa SIP Phones
    ... remote administrative configuration of the phone's settings. ... The Pingtel xpressa SIP-based phone ships with no administrator password, ... Requiring Authentication of Incoming Calls ... Altering the Behavior of the Web Server ...
    (Securiteam)
  • Re: Alternative Access Mapping User Prompts
    ... you'd better to check the other authentication settings: ... \par - IIS Authentication Settings is Integrated Windows authentication - NTLM ... \par Microsoft Global Technical Support Center ... \par> What every SharePoint administrator needs to know about Alternate Access ...