Re: Strange password behavior with Linux

From: Martin Rådbo (martin@teknologia.com)
Date: 03/26/03

From: "Martin Rådbo" <martin@teknologia.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 13:48:34 +0100

David, you pointed me exactly in the right direction. Thanks for that.

You also got a point that the UNC-method in IIS5 is not really ready for use
professionally.

Do you know if it is possible to upgrade to IIS 6.0 without upgrading the
whole server to .NET (Windows 2003)?

Martin

 Martin Rådbo Tel: +46-31-54 54 80 martin@teknologia.com
 Väderskiftesg. 12 Fax: +46-31-64 32 64 http://www.teknologia.com
 418 31 GÖTEBORG Mob: +46-708-77 01 03 ICQ: 6433239
"David Wang [Msft]" <someone@online.microsoft.com> skrev i meddelandet
> [...]
>
> The latter sounds like the behavior that you want. Due to an UI bug, if
you
> ever set the UNC Username/password, even after you uncheck it to "allow
> pass-thru authentication", it still won't work. The way around this bug
is
> to either never set the UNC username/password option, recreate the vdir,
or
> use ADSUTIL/some-other-metabase-editor to delete the UNCUsername and
> UNCPassword properties of the affected vdir.
>
> There's a bunch of KB articles on the subject of IIS and UNC ( Q214806 is
> the primary one). This issue does not have a clean solution with IIS5
(i.e.
> it is not supported, scalable, performant). With IIS6, the UNC scenario
> works very well (performance, scalability, and supported).
>
> --
> //David
rights.
> //
> "Martin Rådbo" <martin@teknologia.com> wrote in message
> We encounter a strange behavior with password sent från IIS to our File
> server. I hope someone could give me a clue about this:
>
> Files on a file server A normal connection from the windows server, (for
> example mapping a drive letter in Explorer) works fine with the
appropriate
> user/pass.
>
> The webserver runs IIS 5.0 with all latest servicepack and stuff.
> When setting up a website we point the home directory to the share on the
> fileserver together with appropriate user/pass. Second configuration is to
> allow Anonymous access and entering a user/pass for this.
>
> The user/pass sent to the fileserver when an anonumous user is accessing
the
> wwebsite is never the one entered as the anonymous account, instead the
> user/pass entered for the file share is used all the time.
> This is not a problem as far as we use Anonymous access since we can enter
> the same user/pass for both Anonymous access and for the home directory's
> access to the file server.
>
> But, when we disable Anonymous access and the user accessing the website
> enters a user/pass, this is never sent to the file server for
> authentification. It is as I said before, only the user/pass entered for
the
> home directory is sent to the file server.
> This way the user/pass entered by the user accessing the website has no
> effect. Well, it has the effect that the user must enter a username which
> exist on the webserver but that means that a user on the server easily
can
> access all other sites and that is of course not the idéa.
>
> Our fileserver is a Linux (debian) with a samba share but the problem is
> equal when using a local fileserver with Windows on the same LAN which is
> member of the same domain.
> It seem that IIS change the way it handles password when home directory is

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Strange password behavior with Linux
    ... > a UNC share, ... > Files on a file server A normal connection from the windows server, ... > fileserver together with appropriate user/pass. ... > allow Anonymous access and entering a user/pass for this. ...
  • Re: Strange password behavior with Linux
    ... >> a UNC share, ... >> Files on a file server A normal connection from the windows server, ... >> fileserver together with appropriate user/pass. ... >> allow Anonymous access and entering a user/pass for this. ...
  • Re: Strange password behavior with Linux
    ... Sounds like you are talking about having a vdir whose physical directory is ... If you configure the UNC Username/password for a vdir, ... authentication, where the authenticate user is used to access the UNC share. ... fileserver together with appropriate user/pass. ...
  • Re: IIS6 always asking for username and password
    ... are you using anonymous access? ... check out the iis log files for more clues. ... Bernard Cheah ... > stored and it is always asking for the user/pass when going to every page ...