Re: Error code 401.2

From: David Wang [Msft] (someone@online.microsoft.com)
Date: 03/22/03

From: "David Wang [Msft]" <someone@online.microsoft.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2003 01:13:57 -0800

Are you sure you are actually supposed to be able to go to that website?

401.2 indicates "Logon Denied by server configuration". It basically means
that the server wants some authentication type that cannot be fulfilled by
the client. A classic example is Netscape Navigator browsing a webserver
that only accepts Integrated Windows Authentication. Netscape doesn't know
Windows Authentication, so the response it'd get is a 401.2.

IE6 is aware of most authentication types, so I am surprised that you'd see
a 401.2. If you did configured IE to show "Friendly HTTP Errors" (this is
the default behavior), then I suspect that the website may have had its
custom error misconfigured.

Which is why I asked if you are actually supposed to be able to go to that
website.

--
//David
//
"JC Wellcome" <jkwent@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
I am new to this but I can't get to some websites due to
a authentication issue. Before I can get into a
particular website a login box comes up asking for a
username and password (to authenticate I presume) and
then a not authorized page with error code 401.2. Any
help Please.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Basic Authentication + IIS 5 + Windows 2000 + Frontpage 2002 = failure?
    ... > By this, I mean, usually, on the basic logon screen of a server, I see ... >>;) under the website in question, enabling only Basic authentication. ... and can use the local administrator account to successfully ...
  • Re: Strange IIS Server behavior
    ... Well what i ment was in IIS for this virtual directory, ... In the website internally, we have a login module which is ... Due to Server Configuration with No Authentication) ...
  • RE: Windows Authentication on iis new website not working (fine on
    ... Is the server a MS or a SA server? ... If authentication baffles you ... Trying to move the contents on the default website onto a new website ... Full IIS running on a domain network. ...
  • Re: Error code 401.2
    ... I'm not sure what the problem is except to say this is a web site that ... HOSTS folder removed anything referring to that website closed everything ... > that only accepts Integrated Windows Authentication. ... > Windows Authentication, so the response it'd get is a 401.2. ...
  • RE: Using MySites with Forms Authentication mode?
    ... I set up a website for the front end portal called OFWI. ... left ofwispp as windows authentication. ... Membership Providers and after that i went to central administration and set ... Both have the same ASPNet Mebership provider. ...