Re: Security design - is this safe?

From: Karl Levinson [x y] mvp (levinson_k@excite.com)
Date: 03/13/03

From: "Karl Levinson [x y] mvp" <levinson_k@excite.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 20:40:38 -0500

A common and possibly safer way to permit access to databases is to use a
shared local account on the database server [either in Windows or in SQL or
the database], use a connect string or other method to tell the web server
to connect to the database using that ID for all web users, and then use
another method of authentication, such as a table of user IDs and passwords
within the database itself, to select which users are permitted access to
which tables.

The passwords in the database would probably be different from the passwords
on the domain, but when it comes to security, this is generally a positive
rather than a negative.

Be sure to write your code securely, such as do input checking to prevent
attacks like SQL injection, be careful about how persistent variables are
stored and passed, etc. See here for places to start getting more info:
http://securityadmin.info
http://www.owasp.org
http://www.cert.org/tech_tips