RE: exe's no longer download

From: Lisa Cozzens [MSFT] (lcozzens@online.microsoft.com)
Date: 03/11/03

From: lcozzens@online.microsoft.com (Lisa Cozzens [MSFT])
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 01:18:22 GMT

The Lockdown Tool restricts access by the IUSR/IWAM accounts to .exe files
in your winnt\system32 directory -- that's those DenyAce entries that you
see in the log files. That should have no effect on your ability to
download .exe files from the web site.

The Lockdown Tool also installs URLScan, which restricts access to .exe
files, but if URLScan were preventing you from accessing those files, you
should see an HTTP 404 error instead of an HTTP 500 error.

A couple of things to try:
1. Check to make sure the directory containing the .exe files has Scripts
and Executables permissions (Properties -> Directory tab -> Execute
permissions). Otherwise, IIS will attempt to execute the file, instead of
sending it to the user.
2. In IE, go to Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced -> Show friendly HTTP
error messages. Make sure it is UNCHECKED. Then try downloading an exe file
again. You should get a more detailed error message.
3. Check your Event Viewer logs (Application and System) for any errors in
there.

Hope this helps,
Lisa

--------------------
> From: "Peter" <peter.yungel@eclipsys.com>
> Subject: exe's no longer download
> Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 16:02:20 -0500
> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetserver.iis.security
>
> A while back I ran the IIS Lockdown wizard on my site. One of the
> options I implemented was for users not to be able to run exe files (in
the
> log file there are a host of DenyAce-- entries that I think show this)
from
> the site. Now my users can not download files with an 'exe' extension.
These
> links timeout with a http 500 error after a few minutes. I need to
re-enable
> the ability for users to download exe's but I can't deteremine what
Lockdown
> changed based on the log files. I can not run the lockdown tool again to
> uninstall it from this server as it wreaks havoc on multi-homes servers
> running ISAPI filters (I know this from experience). So I need a way to
> manually reconfigure downloadable support for exe files.

-----
Please do not send email directly to this alias. This is an online
account name for newsgroup participation only.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
no rights. You assume all risk for your use.

2003 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Relevant Pages

  • Lockdown Tool and .exe Problems
    ... I'm running IIS 5.1 and the IIS lockdown tool for ... However, since I've installed the lockdown tool, I cannot ... save any .exe files from my computer (only zips, doc, ... not able to open this Internet site. ...
  • RE: downloading EXE files and FTP access on the client
    ... the SBS by default allow to download any file thru ... HTTP and FTP from Internet. ... What error do you get when you try to download .exe files? ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Cant download exe
    ... To help protect your computer.Windowshasblockedaccessto this file ... help and support shows Mail which is nothing to do with the download andwindowsblockingaccess. ... I have vista ultimate and it too wont let me donwload .exe files. ... user control, disabling windows defender entirely, turned internet ...
  • Re: Trouble Downloading
    ... I am aware of Netzip and the problem it causes with .exe files. ... >now I can download exe files just fine. ... >>Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems ...
  • IE6/W2K SP4 cannot download EXE files
    ... My brothers computer point blank refuses to let him download exe files - he ... window opens a window but no URL or data in the status bar and nothing ... Set IE security settings to lowest possible ...